SailNet Community banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
@pdqaltair - what cruising sailing boat uses "shots", "fathoms" or detachable links in their anchor chain? And just like golf or the Imperial measurement system with its non-decimal based counting, who can remember multiples of 15 (and why should they)? There was only one other suggestion that was more complex and less intuitive and less applicable than what the U.S. Navy uses. And what sailboat is going to mark their chain every 90 feet or 27.5 meters (and set their depth sounder to fathoms so that they can compute the 15 fathoms to 1 shot conversion)? Just out of curiosity, do you use shots and fathoms aboard your sailboat?
You missed the "just for fun" comment? :ROFLMAO:

·
bell ringer
5,423 Posts
Isn't it impressive just how hard boaters can make this???

It isn't really important to have the "best" method as long as the boat users understand it and it is easy to redo as as needed with the boat in the water, because it will need to be redone

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
It is more important to see the marks when laying out the chain, and by then the mud should have been washed off. I just paid for my chain and have my spray paint ready and waiting.
I am going with the simplest of systems recommended here - like a traffic light progressing from green through yellow to red:

feetColor Scheme
50green
100green - space - green
150green - space - yellow
200yellow - space - yellow
250yellow - space - red
300red - space - red

The "space" will be 3 links painted white and I think I will also paint 3 links before and after color stripe with white. I haven't decided how many links the color stripes will be, I'll wait until I have the chain laid out on the docks to get a feel for what length will be appropriate. I have some blue paint as well which I am thinking of marking the last 10 feet next to the anchor so that I have a visual cue as to when the anchor might be about to break surface when weighing it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, there's a wealth of information in this thread (and no thread creep!) that will hopefully help future chain markers in their endeavors 🏖⛵
PERFECT!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You missed the "just for fun" comment? :ROFLMAO:
Sorry - I did miss that and thought that you were being serious! Hence my terse reply. I've seen videos of chain being "dropped" from navy vessels and those are pretty impressive and I understand why private yachts mark in feet while they need to mark in shots.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The chain arrived yesterday morning and I've been working on getting it marked and into the chain locker. I am using Krylon spray paint but need to wait about an hour between applications to let it dry sufficiently to handle the chain. I got 300 feet of G4 galvanized in Canada chain that Island Waterworld said was of very high quality. I also got 120 feet of 20mm high-strength polyrene 3-strand rode for a total of 400 feet of anchor tackle. I spliced the 3-strand to the hardpoint in the anchor locker already, and was about to continue work when the showers moved in. Looking at the weather radar for St. Lucia shows rain coming through all day; so I might not get my work done today. There is a complete lockdown from Saturday 4pm to Monday 4am so I'm not going anywhere. I fired up the air conditioning and am taking care of computer stuff. My final color scheme is as follows:

Every 10 feet there are 5 links marked in white, and the white that separates the 3 feet long colored stripes is the 10 foot mark and 5 links long. The first 10 feet closest to the chain are white so that I have ample warning that the anchor is about to come out of the water.

feetColor
0-10solid white
50green
100green - white - green
150green - white - yellow
200yellow - white - yellow
250yellow - white - red
300red - white - red

·
Administrator
7,948 Posts
Looks fabby!
And enough colour to see it, even when done gets scraped off.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Mark - I took your advice and made each length of colored striping one meter long, with the white separator and the other color that's about 2 meters of colorful chain for me to see! I'm going to go the old-plastic-San-Pellegrino-bottles route for the chain locker spacers as my piece of starboard is too small and there's no need to over-engineer the spacer in the chain locker as whatever solution I choose will be hidden under all that rode and chain. Today is lockdown so there's nothing moving anywhere, and the rains just stopped but there's not a breath of wind here in Rodney Bay.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'm about to load the chain aboard after adding shackles to the chain swivel, splicing the 3-strand to the chain and putting in my San Pellegrino and starboard protective layer :)

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
Looking good. I think your 3-strand may still lie in water, but your chain looks like it will rise above. Be careful, as rope rots and, if the strands fill with dirt and sand, will chafe prematurely. Still, overall I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The water only pool in the forward section so I'm hoping that the polyrene stays dry. According to the manufacturer specifications it doesn't rot and doesn't lose strength when wet so I'm going to be optimistic. With 300' of chain I don't think I'll be using the rode much; I thought of coiling it and hanging it to the side, but then realized it is cheap compared to chain and I don't care if it discolors over time. I'm getting some help this afternoon with the chain as I don't want to to drop the new chain in the nasty mud here in the marina while loading it up...

·
Registered
24,508 Posts
I'm sure it will be fine for a good long time. I had some 12 plait spare rode that was never used and sat wet for years that got pretty funky and looked questionable. But it literally never saw daylight for maybe 5 years. That was avoidable. Pilot error.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts