SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After another weekend of getting the project boat (Catalina 22) in shipshape I came across another problem. Where the silver support arm attaches to the pop top it came loose. There are only two small screws that went into fiberglass. So now i need an option for what to do with holes so they will hold screws again. Which product would you suggest? Epoxy? if so which type, fiberglass repair? if so which type? Also these are not through holes.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
fill up with thickened epoxy let cure, redrill pot holes, install screws with your choice of bedding compound or caulk...

for thickeners I use talc and resin cause its cheap and what most boat were built with

to save yorself any headaches go this route

some epoxies have a bad adhesion or incompatabilty with some plastics and need very very thorough cleaning of surfaces but this is true with any gluing sticking jobs

anywhoo

if you want you can go the west systems route too...all good

Reactions: Shortnsalty

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
I was thinking about the WM epoxy for rebedding some screws that pulled out of my lazarette hatch. However, they come in these large containers (which I didn't need or want) or the two part syringe (which is going to cure too quickly to add the colloidal thickeners). I bought instead Marine Tex epoxy that is like putty. I haven't used it yet for this application, but it should be pliable enough to squeeze into the holes.

Here's some info on it: Marine Tex 2 Oz Gray Waterproof Epoxy (RM301K) - Epoxy Adhesives - Ace Hardware

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yup thats why I dont like west for small jobs...you just waste so much

even using resin but there are so many 2 part putties out there now that you can chose whatever you want and most will be just fine

jb weld is great for a lot of things...and small patch up jobs like this I see no reason to avoid it

but whatever you chose prep well and test

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
When repairing 'torn out' screw holes in fiberglass .... I prefer (SS) sheet metal screws over wood screws for fastening to fiberglass - reason: the thread profile is more 'coarse', there is no 'shoulder' (an area with no threads between the actual threads and the head of the screw), plus the diameter of the 'threaded portion' of the screw is usually at a greater diameter.

Usually you dont have to repair/epoxy/rebuild the screw holes if you simply change/replace with sheet metal screws ... just match the head size.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
thats great advice...sheet screws are great, just go a size bigger if the hardware allows for it...if not then sometimes you get lucky or if not just fix the hole

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Hmm you can get sheet screws in stainless steel?

Do you mean self tappers with appropriate heads.

I am not familiar with the term sheet screws.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
sheet metal screws

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
for thickeners I use talc and resin cause its cheap and what most boat were built with
Never, ever use talc below the waterline. It absorbs water like a sponge. Even the talc manufacturers specifically advise against this practice.

For this type of repair I use thickened epoxy, just tape the bottom of the hole, insert a syringe and inject from the bottom. This help drive air bubbles out the top, and the tape hold it in place.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
where did it say it was below the waterline?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts