SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally heard at one remove what's happening to my delivery crew wife via the skipper's wife, who is in Toronto with a broken leg.

My non-broken wife is down in the Bahamas and was to help deliver (with others) an Ontario 32 from Eleuthera, Bahamas to New York City and then up the Hudson and the canal to Lake Ontario. She went down Sunday, May 31st.

I heard yesterday that they are at Current Cut, Bahamas with a broken boom (better there than 400 miles out, I suppose) and are proposing to go due west to Florida (around Fort Pierce) to replace this boom. They may be already underway under engine and poled-out genoa on a 36 hour, 140 NM trip to get there. There's no advantage in hanging around the Bahamas with a busted boom.

Given that Florida is about the biggest salvage lot on Earth, I would love to use the deep thinkers here on Sailnet to render constructive advice that I can pass to the Toronto-based wife so that she can advise her husband when he reaches Florida. Basically, they need a complete boom of 13-14 feet suitable for the ocean and with all the goodies on it. It could be brand-new or used, and I don't know the details of the mainsheet or bail locations, but that was probably preserved. It sounded like a more or less orderly failure in light airs, so the main is likely OK. I do know that it has a foot for the track and slugs, old school style.

I wish I knew more detail, but as I said, this is at one remove. I found a place online called Wallaby's Fabrications in Fort Pierce, but I haven't contacted them. Frankly, I don't even know where they'll come in at Florida, but I would like to provide some phone numbers.

As a friend of mine pointed out, even if she doesn't do the delivery, equipment failures (and how to deal with them) are part of cruising and are instructive in their own right.

Any help from Florida-based posters will be appreciated.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Call Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale. If they don't have something, they'll gladly tell you who might.

SAILORMAN (800)523-0772
350 East SR 84; Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316
(954)522-6716 ; (954)760-7686 (FAX)
M-SAT 8:30AM-6PM SUN 8:30AM-4:pM
E-MAIL [email protected]

Also try:
THRIFTY MARINER
3100 WEST S.R. 84
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33312-4876
(954)581-4141

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
how broke I guess you don't know.. Possibly the whisker pole could be used as a temp? Just a WAG. (wild A$$ guess)

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
I'll Look around the

Yard and see what I have laying around. Can you tell me the diameter and how the sail is attached. Or you might mention the boat model.

I will see if I can find somthing to fit. You can take the pieces parts off the broken boom to make it work.
Fair Winds

Dave
Green Cove Springs Marina

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've posted them on to currently laid-up Judy Millard of S/V Veleda IV. She'll read them to the skipper or send them via e-mail and he'll get it at his Florida landfall. This is old-school, "we'll call when we get in" sailing, so I don't know where or when it will happen.

They have a great multi-year blog at Veleda IV World Cruise , by the way.

Capn Dave, I know that the boat is an Ontario 32 and that the E measurement is 13 feet, implying with outhaul gear and gooseneck a total length of just under 14 feet or so. I do not know the cross-section, but it is a C&C design of the '70s done for Ontario Yachts, and it probably favours "beefy".

I will include your post in my forwarded message. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I hear anything, I'll post their progress.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Raft up with PBZ and borrow his boom. ;) He's got an Ontario 32... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts