SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, and gals,

I saw a boat named Story a while back, out of Gibralter Mich. If a boat was a woman, I would have asked her to marry, and I'm happily married !. Anyhow, I saw the teak decks, (BTW I think she was a Morgan hull, perhaps 45', and the gent had laid her hull and built her himself, quite a ....Story!)
Anyhow, it got me thinking about my brightwork which was steadily fading into obscurity in front of my eyes, and a pain in my sailing buds eyes... his boat , on which he spends at lest three to four days per year sanding and preping, is a Bayfield 32, and has more bright work than sail area. He always talks and I hear others go on about the latest product that will stand up to the elements.... ya da ya da ya da.... I have put too much stain on decks to be fooled by the latest product, and Story's decks were beautiful, and, I might ad, bare naked, just the way a beautiful woman or man if you go that way , should be !
So I have taken of the last remaining shreds of sikkens, or whatever the last owner had painstakingly spread about, on our handrails, hatch cover etc..... ( we do not have a teak deck.... yet !) and am considering using what my wife has on our maple kitchen counter tops, orange oil mixed with beeswax.
Now I apologize to those of you who like brightwork, and have done the above, but I am leaning towards just leaving it bare, and calling it the sandlewood look....but my wife is pushing me to the oils, and not in the fun sense...but I'm not convinced about the efficacy of the oils and wax, have any of you adventurous souls used or heard of this method ?
Thanks for any advice, and especially any mockery; my buddy can't sway me, but the [email protected]#!#[email protected]???. :p

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Nothing(TM) is the usual product for teak decks..

..but if you must use something, whatever you use DON'T use beeswax - not if you want you or your crew to stay on board at all times. I'd suggest a teak oil of some sort instead.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Hey guys, and gals,

I saw a boat named Story a while back, out of Gibralter Mich. If a boat was a woman, I would have asked her to marry, and I'm happily married !. Anyhow, I saw the teak decks, (BTW I think she was a Morgan hull, perhaps 45', and the gent had laid her hull and built her himself, quite a ....Story!)
Anyhow, it got me thinking about my brightwork which was steadily fading into obscurity in front of my eyes, and a pain in my sailing buds eyes... his boat , on which he spends at lest three to four days per year sanding and preping, is a Bayfield 32, and has more bright work than sail area. He always talks and I hear others go on about the latest product that will stand up to the elements.... ya da ya da ya da.... I have [put too much stain on decks to be fooled by the latest product, and Story's decks were beautiful, and, I might ad, bare naked, just the way a beautiful woman or man if you go that way , should be !
So I have taken of the last remaining shreds of sikkens, or whatever the last owner had painstakingly spread about, and am considering using what my wife has on our maple kitchen counter tops, orange oil mixed with beeswax.
Now I apologize to those of you who like brightwork, and have done the above, but I am leaning towards just leaving it bare, and calling it the sandlewood look....but my wife is pushing me to the oils, and not in the fun sense...but I'm not convinced about the efficacy of the oils and wax, have any of you adventurous souls used or heard of this method ?
Thanks for any advice, and especially any mockery; my buddy can't sway me, but the [email protected]#!#[email protected]???. :p
"Oiling", "Sealing" or applying any teak "Treatment" to teak decks is one of the dumbest things a boatowner can do... :)

Don't take my word for it, take Rebecca Wittman's ...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
classic book...I read and re-read that all day long when I had my old h28.

teak decks in my opinion should only be done one way, thats natural, sandeed cross grain every once in a while, washed with saltwater with a deck brush twice a day or at least once a day,to keep things tight and cool, to avoid cracks and ruts that get dirty the split, and expand,then caulk with your favourite caulking, with yor finger to get that perfect curve to the caulking and be done with it.

simple, no nonsense.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
"Oiling", "Sealing" or applying any teak "Treatment" to teak decks is one of the dumbest things a boatowner can do... :)

Don't take my word for it, take Rebecca Wittman's ...
Why is oil a bad idea? The orange cleaner sounds like a bad idea because it will take out the natural oils from the teak, but I thought that using teak oil helped preserve the teak.

MedSailor

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Good advice if you like to ignore the fact that the current price of teak is running about $50.00+ per board foot.

Semco (Natural) - good traction even when wet and keeps the (bleached) teak 'light' so it doesnt get as hot like bare greyed teak does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts