SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between getting lessons and trying to figure out what I can afford that will still safely do blue water, I have to admit that I'm just a newbie. sailed a lot on day boats as a lad, but nothing serious since I left home many years ago. I seem to be at the crossroads at 50, figure if I'm ever going to feel the wind again (much less fulfill some of those old dreams of being at sea) I better get at it now.

From what I've seen and researched so far I think I'll be in the 30 to 45 foot range, but I'm not deluded enough to think I really know what is out there these days within my budget.

I expect I'll ask some dumb sounding questions :confused: and I plead for your forbearance until I become sophmoric enough that you can just tell me to shut up :eek: ...

Thanks in advance for any hep any of you offer over the years to come, I hope I can pass on such wisdom to others. :cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Happy New year from another 50 year old who is still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you haven't considered it yet, check out Island Sailing Club at Tomahawk Island Marina. They have a club system that lets you sail 20 to 27 foot boats on the Columbia River, and do your ASA certifications up to and including off shore.

(Personally, we did the basic ASAs with them, but then the bareboat ones with San Juan Sailing in Bellington, WA to learn more about the San Juans).

Anyway, Island Sailing Club is a great way to go sailing without owning a boat. If you go to the Portland Boat Show, or just call them before it, you can get reduced membership rates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kewl...

Jim:
Thanks; already had Island on the list as an option, good to have the recommendation to back that up.

Chuck:
Wait a min, who said anything about growing up?

All:
I appreciate the kind welcome. Slainte!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts