SailNet Community banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think that you'll be glad that you made the change. It's so much nicer to open up the boat and not smell or have to apologize to a guest for the 'boat smell.' Make sure that you use some sort of bleach or disinfectant (I used Odoban) and wipe down all the interior spaces under the sink and the vee-bunk. Mine were pretty saturated with odor.

One other think you might consider, while you're at it. I didn't have any way of knowing whether the holding tank was full. I installed a clear, 4" inspection port in the lid of the tank. Seal it VERY well though.
Yes, I'm looking forward to a head without a smell. The smell was never very strong, but enough to be bothersome. I did clean all those compartments with bleach and then Odoban. The smell under the V-bunk is completely gone - I think the pump was the culprit. The old rubber membrane had this whitish coating on it that I think was caused by the glycol. I replaced the pump with the Whale-Henderson pump that's fully enclosed, and will keep the old pump with a new nitrile membrane as a backup. Once I install the Y-valve, I'll know about the other compartment, but I'm hopeful.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to install an inspection port - when I removed the old hose to the holding tank, the smell was pretty acrid. Not sure what it would smell like if I opened up a big hole in the top. How did you seal the port?

·
11,751 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I too use one of the 4" Beckson clear inspection ports to provide both physical and visual access to the holding tank. I posted a photo in post 20 of this thread. You can see a pair of magic marker marks that let me know when I have it properly tightened. You can also see a fishing bobber that is tied with a piece of line to a screw in the boss on the bottom of the clear cover. It lets me know when the tank is 80% full. I find it more reliable than the Scad level gauge which indicates high if there is an accumulation on its sensor. I can clean the sensor (either the internal sensor or the external sensor) through the inspection port with a wand connected to my anchor washdown pump https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or by hand with a scraper and brush while wearing an OB glove https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-ob-sleeves-clear with a nitrile glove over my gloved hand and a rubber band over the OB glove at my upper arm.

And, that wand is the best of the anchor washdown nozzles I have used. I can rest it on the anchor chain roller shooting down the chain rinsing the chain as it comes up. It is easier to aim.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Currently social distancing in Miami Beach after abandoning our annual trip to the Bahamas

·
11,751 Posts
I too use one of the 4" Beckson clear inspection ports to provide both physical and visual access to the holding tank. I posted a photo in post 20 of this thread. You can see a pair of magic marker marks that let me know when I have it properly tightened. You can also see a fishing bobber that is tied with a piece of line to a screw in the boss on the bottom of the clear cover. It lets me know when the tank is 80% full. I find it more reliable than the Scad level gauge which indicates high if there is an accumulation on its sensor. I can clean the sensor (either the internal sensor or the external sensor) through the inspection port with a wand connected to my anchor washdown pump https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or by hand with a scraper and brush while wearing an OB glove https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-ob-sleeves-clear with a nitrile glove over my gloved hand and a rubber band over the OB glove at my upper arm.

And, that wand is the best of the anchor washdown nozzles I have used. I can rest it on the anchor chain roller shooting down the chain rinsing the chain as it comes up. It is easier to aim.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Currently social distancing in Miami Beach after abandoning our annual trip to the Bahamas
My SCAD has worked perfectly for over 8 years. External sensors are the way to go. Simple and clean.

The inPection Port is only for cleaning and emergency. I would not want to keep opening it to see my tank level and expose ourselves to the bacteria and stench. That procedure of checking levels by opening an inspection port a lot will lead to an issue eventually.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My Scad holding tank level indicating system has not been perfect. That said, Richard Ferriello spent much time working with me attempting to improve its operation. He was most helpful. I have both the original outside foil sensor and the internal PVC pipe sensor. Both are in place and I can use either one. I own two single tank display systems. One is marked SCAD and the other which Richard sent me is marked Profile. The Profile is newer and is currently in use. Except for the printing on their faces, they appear identical. My system fails because a brown, gooey, particle containing material slowly builds up on the tank walls and on the PVC sensor fooling the capacitance sensing circuitry into thinking the tank is full. When that happens, I open the inspection port, clean up the mess, and once again have a working electronic level sensing system. In a few months the problem reappears.

Take a look at the photo that I mentioned. It is in post 20 of this thread. You will see that I can visually check the level in the tank without opening it. I do not have "to keep opening it to see my tank level ". I simply raise the v-berth cushion corner and take a peek. Do take a look at the photo. You will see the bobber is on its side and thus not dangling on its string but floating indicating that the tank is over 80% full. I find the bobber makes it much easier to accurately pronounce it time for a pump out. It meets all three criteria -- good, fast, and cheap.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

·
11,751 Posts
That good...so it acts like the float in a toilet.
I’ve never had the issue with the external sensor failing.
Next time I open the inspection port I’ll make sure a wipe the area internally where the sensor is.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts