SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boat came equipped with a Kenyon kerosene oven and stovetop, and I'd like to get rid of it and replace it with something else. I like the Origo units, but apparently they're all discontinued and nobody else seems to sell a unit that works off of denatured alcohol as these do. (Perhaps they're outlawed?) I don't really want to find space for or invest in a propane locker. Does anyone have any good ideas for this? TIA

p.s. Attempts to find a used Origo have not yet turned up anything.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
We did the same thing with the Kenyon stove on our old boat. We ended up just replacing it with a couple of cheap portable butane stoves. Butane has far more heat output than alcohol, and the fuel canisters are readily available. They are small enough that if one leaks there won't be enough fuel released to be hazardous. The added advantage is that we could take the stoves off the boat and cook on the dock, the beach, or wherever. And if you don't need them you can put them away and clear up counter space in the galley.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
I will give you my Origo when you pry it from my cold dead hands :)

I have all kinds of conspiracy theories about what happened there, but none are supported by evidence so I will keep them to myself.

You could check out Trangia stoves. Not as good for marine use as Origo's but nice little alcohol stoves non the less. Not sure if they have a model that would be suitable for your needs. I have one I use for sea kayaking and it is hot! Boils a liter of water in about 4 minutes.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! I'm really looking for at least the two-burner 3000 model (if not the oven unit 6000 model), but I appreciate you looking.

Edit: I do have a one-burner electric induction cooktop from the previous owner but I'm leery of how much juice they might require while at anchor. I only have one house battery and one starter battery.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Given that they're asking more-than-new prices for a used one, I can't imagine what the oven combo would go for when one comes up for sale.

I really hope someone steps in and starts making a similar product.

·
H34 'Spirit'
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We did the same thing with the Kenyon stove on our old boat. We ended up just replacing it with a couple of cheap portable butane stoves.
This looks like a reasonable solution. How long do you find the butane canisters last?

This dual-burner butane/propane cooktop looks like it might fit the bill. It's certainly cheap enough.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
This looks like a reasonable solution. How long do you find the butane canisters last?

This dual-burner butane/propane cooktop looks like it might fit the bill. It's certainly cheap enough.
We found one can of butane would last for a weekend of making coffee, breakfast and dinner, but we used the bbq a lot too. The fuel is cheap and easy to find.

I have never seen the 2 burner version, but it looks like 2 singles stuck together. The nice thing about the singles is if you only need one burner you can leave the other one stowed. They usually come in plastic carrying cases.

·
Sailor
923 Posts
I second the recommendation for the butane stove. They burn hotter than alcohol, and self contained and East to store. Fuel it readily available too.

·
Administrator
8,998 Posts
butane stove..... They burn hotter than alcohol, and self contained and East to store. Fuel it readily available too.
That is not strictly true. Typical Butane camp stove burners are typically around 4500 BTUs. Larger fixed type Butane stoves are in the 11,000 BTU range but burn through small cartridges extremely quickly. Origo stove burners are 6800 BTUs. Once you go the larger cartridges, they should be stored in the same way that you store propane. I had a butane stove two boats back and it was very expensive to operate which is how I became an Origo convert.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
If you go with butane you likely aren't doing much more than making coffee and hot dogs. Which is fine, if that's all you want, but if you go that route I would go with a high efficiency system like a Jetboil which uses an isobutane/propane blend. Much more efficient and will work in cooler weather.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
If you go with butane you likely aren't doing much more than making coffee and hot dogs. Which is fine, if that's all you want, but if you go that route I would go with a high efficiency system like a Jetboil which uses an isobutane/propane blend. Much more efficient and will work in cooler weather.
Coffee and hotdogs? I'm not sure why you would say that. Anything you can cook on a propane or alcohol burner you can cook on a butane burner.

A friend of mine had an Origo stove on his boat, and I wasn't impressed with it. It seemed slow to boil water, and didn't regulate very well. Not sure what all the fuss is about them other than avoiding installing a propane system.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
Not saying you can't cook other things on a butane stove. But if you try cooking 3 meals a day for 2 or 3 weeks on one I would expect to go through a pile of cartidges

The rumpurs about Origo stoves not being hot are greatly exagerated. I have run several tests, with a timer in freezing temperatures. They are about the same speed as a propane stove of equivalent BTU rating :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
One thing I've noticed with my Origo is that when the fuel is running low it burns cooler. I think part of the thing about people thinking they're so slow might come from using one that's nearly empty.

·
Super Moderator
4,188 Posts
This looks like a reasonable solution. How long do you find the butane canisters last
I ran some numbers on this.

According to manufacturers specifications.

A butane stove from West Marine on high will last roughly 1.25 hours on one canister. Origo 4 hours. So you are looking at 3 butane canisters per 1 liter Origo fill. Burn times on low are roughly proportionate.

1 gallon jug of methyl hydrate from Walmart or where ever costs about $8 USD. For a roughly equal burn time from butane you are looking at 12 canisters or approximately $63. Roughly 8 times the cost to operate.

The butane unit I looked at should theoretically boil an equal amount of water almost %25 faster than the Origo I compared it to. So if you are only boiling water, the butane stove should be only 6 times more expensive to operate.

However, you can't make bacon and eggs on high with either of these stoves without burning them, which to some degree mitigates the effect of the maximum potential heat output of that particular butane stove.

Split the difference and you could guesstimate the butane stove might be approximately %700 more expensive to operate, or on the conservative side you could guesstimate %600 more expensive.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have my old Origo in my garage. I guess I should NOT toss it?
You might even have a buyer for it!

Certainly using disposable butane (or propane) canisters is not ideal. They are a compromise, just like Origos are.

If you expect to do a lot of cooking every day for weeks, then a more permanent solution would be worthwhile. If you don't want to put in a propane system, why not just run a propane hose to your transom and hang a propane tank on the pushpit? It doesn't look pretty, but it is simple and will give you plenty of fuel to play chef!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just wish I had the 3000 instead of the 6000. I have never fired up the oven and probably never will. I could use the oven space for something else but I'm not going to part with my 6000 unless I can find a 3000 to replace it with. When I first got the boat I thought it was huge.... now it feels cramped.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A fellow compared a two burner propane camp stove with an Origo 2 burner. He found the Origo boiled a pot of water in 2/3rds the time it took for the propane stove. Didn't give the BTU output of the camp stove but bet it was not a large burner. Still not bad performance for the energy deficient alcohol.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts