SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Princess alcohol pressure stove finally died and from what I've read, pressure alcohol may not be the safest way of cooking food on a boat. I do like the alcohol and don't want to go to propane so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Origo 4500 or the newer 4300 version. This is a combo 220 volt electric and alcohol 2 burner stove. Any idea how many amps the electric element draws. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I had an Origo on my previous boat and liked it. The combo electric alcohol should work the same. Unless you are going to be doing a lot of cooking tied up in your slip, it might make sense to just go with an basic alcohol unit. And check your dock power. Most is only 120VAC.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I assumed the dock voltage to be 220 v but I'll have to look into that. If I do have only 110 volts, I'd think the elements would be the same so I would need to rewire for 110 volts. Not sure but thanks again. I only have a 15 amp service btw.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
What parts failed I need the pump and cap to complete the restoration on my princess if those parts are good or rebuildable how much for them

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had myself convinced that pressure alcohol was ok until I happened on a good deal on ebay for the origo combination stove. I would not like to go back to pressurized alcohol.

The combo stove works great and my wife can work it without fear of burning the curtains. We don't use the electric part too much but it comes in handy sometimes. Even without the electric side, the non pressurized alcohol is a great alternative to propane.

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I assumed the dock voltage to be 220 v but I'll have to look into that. If I do have only 110 volts, I'd think the elements would be the same so I would need to rewire for 110 volts. Not sure but thanks again. I only have a 15 amp service btw.
The Origo for North America is 120 volts. If you have 15 amp service it is 120 volts, same as your house. 240 volt service in marinas in North America is 50 amp and usually only found on large boats.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I just reread your posting and I have a question is the unit new or used if new just purchase the correct voltage instead of trying to rewire it. If it is used unit that needs to be rewired make sure to have an electrician check your work a boat is not the place to have an electrical fire be safe out there

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stove is used. My son is an electrician so I'll get him to re wire if necessary. I think it would be nice to have the electric option even if we don't use it that much. Maybe just a nice to have sort of thing. Newhaul, the princess stove I have, actually I have two of them, was leaking under the burner. I tried to fix it but only made the situation worse. You can have anything you want off of the two stoves for free. Just pay for shipping which shouldn't be too much. PM me with your information. Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called Fisheries Supplies yesterday to get a price on the elements just to see if they are available still. They are $255 each. Wow, almost as much as the stove. Hopefully the elements for the stove I'm interested in are 120 volt. Thx

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Why do you want electric as well as alcohol? Electric stoves are most often on powerboats with generators. For you the electric elements are only good at the dock.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,686 Posts
Why do you want electric as well as alcohol? Electric stoves are most often on powerboats with generators. For you the electric elements are only good at the dock.
I think that is the point: off the dock you get alcohol cooking and on the dock you get electric.

Personally I like propane cooking better all the time, but I can see the argument for electric/alcohol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If the price is right it can still be a good deal even if he doesn't wire the electric side. The alcohol side will still work fine.

Nothing wrong with propane if your boat is already equipped but it can be a complicated and expensive modification.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
When I replace the pressurized alcohol stove on my boat I looked into getting an Origo alcohol/electric unit, but the price was so high I opted to a plain Origo alcohol unit. I bought a little portable electric hotplate to use while at the dock for about $20. Turns out that I didn't use the electric hotplate enough to justify keeping on the boat, so I just took it back home and use it in the kitchenette in our granny-flat/guest-cottage/home-office.

Unless you live aboard, I would just get a regular non pressurized alcohol stove and leave it at that. One less thing to worry about, and the money you'll save will buy lots of alcohol for the stove (or beer for the icebox).

Adding a full propane system (stove, tubing, fittings, solenoid, sniffer, tank, etc.) will cost you more and will never be as safe as a non pressurized alcohol stove.

Reactions: Westsailforever

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm don't necessarily care if it is electric/alcohol or just alcohol. I just thought if the price was right for a used combo then I'd get it and if we used the electric at the dock then bonus. New ones are selling for around $550 so if I got one for approx $200 then I would have some diversity if I needed or wanted it. If I have to go to just alcohol then no big deal
Larry

·
Banned
141 Posts
I think the electric option would be nice too . I have the Origo 3000 2 burner alc. only . We go thru quite a bit of alc. , mainly I think coffee is a big user . And at dinner time we usually boil something so that's a big consumer too . Electric would fix that . The only problem we have ever had with it is one time we had both burners on and boiling two large size pots . We shut off the burners but it was still flaming big time , I panicked and put it out with a fire extinguisher , what a mess . I think it would have worked just as effectively had I soaked some hand towels in water and smothered it out . The next day I called Origo they had no idea how that could of happened and asked me if I had it over filled it. I'm always careful to fill correctly . I think the thing just got to hot with the two big pots on it .

·
That Drunk Guy
258 Posts
Ive lived aboard for 3 years now only using the Origo two burner (I only use one at a time) and love it. Hoping to get the 6000 for the new boat to replace the existing force 10 propane stove and oven. For me alcohol is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts