SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Origo Electric/Alcohol Stove

11K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  mitiempo 
When I replace the pressurized alcohol stove on my boat I looked into getting an Origo alcohol/electric unit, but the price was so high I opted to a plain Origo alcohol unit. I bought a little portable electric hotplate to use while at the dock for about $20. Turns out that I didn't use the electric hotplate enough to justify keeping on the boat, so I just took it back home and use it in the kitchenette in our granny-flat/guest-cottage/home-office.

Unless you live aboard, I would just get a regular non pressurized alcohol stove and leave it at that. One less thing to worry about, and the money you'll save will buy lots of alcohol for the stove (or beer for the icebox).

Adding a full propane system (stove, tubing, fittings, solenoid, sniffer, tank, etc.) will cost you more and will never be as safe as a non pressurized alcohol stove.

Reactions: Westsailforever
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.