SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how quiet Honda generators are, but are there other Manufactures that rival Honda? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
some people say the yamaha inverter models are very close in every way but one, they make a 2400 watt unit instead of a 2000 watt. the RVers of the world like em. just looked at one site the 1000 watt is $720, but it might be cheaper some where else. i had a pep boys 1000 watt genny for %150, it worked okay but was not as quiet and not an inverter model, it died.

Yamaha Generators of North America

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When you say you know how quiet Honda generators are; you're saying that they are pretty loud, right? Air cooled Hondas,- out on the deck? -loud and obnoxious. A small water cooled kubota or similar diesel below is going to be much quieter. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Nah, I have Honda EU3000is and it's whisper quiet

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Nah, I have Honda EU3000is and it's whisper quiet
I would have to agree. We were anchored in a small harbor once 3 years ago and noticed the boat immediately upwind had a Honda 2000 on it's stern platform. I thought it was just sitting there until I got in the dinghy and rowed up on it to hear it running - couldn't hear it until i was almost on top of it!

In terms of comparison, it's quieter than my engine running (to charge the batteries) and much quieter than the ubiquitous stereo from the nearby power boater.

I guess there may be some who view it as objectionable but compared with driving in a car, sitting in your backyard listening to sirens, traffic noise or the neighbor's dog barking, I suspect some folks just need to relax.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
yeah it's that quiet, easily drowned out by normal conversation

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm not familiar withn the different models and sizes of these Honda generators,- or maybe the newer ones are quieter. I just remember cruisers with a small Honda generator on deck that sounder like a lawn mower! 'probably the newer ones are quieter.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I've got the Yamaha and it's very quiet. 40db

·
Registered
407 Posts
My 5Kw Honda backup generator at the cottage will wake the dead but it runs and runs.

My cousin bought a propane powered 8Kw Kohler for his new off-grid cottage and it is whisper quiet.

The Onan, Fischer and Northern Lights are pretty much the quietest I have ever hear for units over 10Kw.

I worked with a CAT powered unit provided by L&M back in the old days of doing live stage shows. 900 Amps of 600v. From 20' away you couldn't hear it. Truly a marvel of technology and engineering.

·
Wannabe Sailing Bum
142 Posts
I have the new Honda EU2000. I wouldn't exactly call it whisper quiet. Maybe damn quiet :) I hear it just fine from the cockpit when it's running up on the foredeck. It is under full load, though, since my battery charger draws the max amount of amps the 2000 puts out.

I doubt any other boat in an anchorage would be able to hear it from a distance. Certainly quieter than listening to the cooling water splash from an engine, genset or AC unit. Overall, I am very happy with that purchase. In fact, so happy that I'm planning to buy a Honda 40hp outboard for my Whaler, which I'm told are also damn quiet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 3000 watt off brand portable that is listed at 65dB at peak power. The Honda 2000 is listed at 59dB. Is that a big enough noise difference to make the 3000 off brand not worth it. The off brand is also around $350.00 cheaper.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Properly designed four-stroke gasoline engines are orders of magnitude quieter than any marine diesel. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts