SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our one month old AB 10VS found an oyster bed today when dragging it onto shore. The admiral ended up putting a 1.5" gash in the bow tube :(. We patched it up and hopefully it will hold - we'll find out in 72 hours. I'm sure she'll be a bit more careful when yanking it onto shore in the future. There's nothing like getting a call on the radio - "Ummmm... Pelican... we just put a hole in the new dinghy." The place we bought it from gave us a repair kit with white hypalon and we have a gray dink, so it's pretty obvious where it's patched.

Oh well... c'est la vie and I'm sure it will be the first of many.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
19,489 Posts
Been there done that!

btw - the answer to this problem are these new plastic kayaks!! pretty near indestructable no matter what's on the beach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
There is some stuff that can be added from the inside to seal up a dink, in case your patch doesn't hold. But it should hold.
 

·
Wandering Aimlessly
Joined
·
22,037 Posts
I notice nobody wondered why it was looking for an oyster patch in the first place. Welcome to the real world Chris! And go easy on the Admiral, your turn's coming ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,467 Posts
Labatt, dude, my condolences. "For better or for worse" - just count to 10 and repeat that over and over.

Did you at least bake them suckers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Well, you can always replace her if you need to...the dinghy I mean. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
There is some stuff that can be added from the inside to seal up a dink, in case your patch doesn't hold. But it should hold.
I used that stuff on a 12 yr old zodiac that developed pin holes leaks and had a leak around a patch like labatt described. I was skeptical about how well it would work but it really did. I was quite impressed.
 

·
Telstar 28
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
One more reason I like my porta-bote... :)
 

·
Sailing Junkie
Joined
·
300 Posts
The Porta-Boat may be a tough tender (???!!) but she's one ugly vessel:D
I'll take my home-built plywood-fiberglass dinghy. At least I can repair her good-as-new.
 

·
I'd rather be sailing
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We used a patch kit with a two part cement and it takes 72 hours before it's cured. We'll see Wednesday morning how it worked. The Porta-Boat just wouldn't work for us - we weigh (all four) about 670lbs. We'd only be able to fit the 10 foot model on deck and the max weight for that model is 585lbs. The next model up has a max weight of 670lbs. Right now we're sitting in the Ashley River in Charleston on the hook and the current is running by at 3+ kts. I'd hate to be fully loaded with a small engine trying to navigate to our boat!

(added 6 hours later)

Yeah... we just bought 2 sheets of 6' x 7' foam and 30 yards of fabric to make new cushions. We had to ferry them over to the boat in a few trips. Wish we had our bigger dinghy, but I'm glad we kept our old inflatable bottom and 6HP engine or we'd be completely dinghy-less!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top