SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided to head on in the little boat this morning just to see what winter had washed up. Had our first M.O.B. drill, well in this case it was a d.o.b.(dog overboard) drill, my 2 yr old golden ret./chow decided to jump out of the boat. I had his retrieval planned before we even left the dock since I figured he would do it at least once at some point. He had never been on the boat before.

He did well, I called him and he started swimming back to the boat, I stayed up current of him and he drifted/doggie paddled right back to the boat and my son scooped 60 lbs of wet dog back into the boat. The wet dog part I had not planned on, so we cut our trip short since everyone was now slightly damp, (ok my sons GF and I were slightly damp, my son was soaked) and it was getting rough.

As much as I hate to say this, I am kinda glad he jumped out into 52degree water at least now(hopefully) he will think about it before he does it again. He's now curled up at my feet on the couch for a well deserved nap.

All in all it was a great trip even if we did have to cut it short for my short sightedness.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Glad to hear it all went well Twisty....

If my little 8 pounder went over, I'm afraid I'd have to dive in. She's 14 and probably wouldn't fair too well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to hear it all went well Twisty....

If my little 8 pounder went over, I'm afraid I'd have to dive in. She's 14 and probably wouldn't fair too well.
Probably not and I wouldn't be above jumping in too, but I have a standing rule. If they are on the dock or on the boat the leash is attached. They drag it around and occasionally I have to untangle them but its worth it. I learned this when my other dog was 9 weeks old and fell off a dock that was about a 1/2 mile from the inlet. The current as rippin' out and he would have been gone if not for the leash.

Thankfully it worked well again today, I grabbed the leash my son grabbed the dog.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Twisty,

Glad your baby was ok and your DOB check went well.

We were visiting friends anchored in Ft. Myers. Bill was rowing our two dogs and their's ashore for a little walk when Trevor (our 100 lb. choc. lab) decided he could go much faster than Bill was rowing (so true!). Bill, not being that familiar with our dog, tried to get him back in the boat by grabbing his collar. Of course, off came the collar/no dog.

In this particular situation, it wasn't a concern -- Trevor could make it to shore no problem. But it did make us think about what would happen at sea. So we purchased harness-type collars so we could have something to grab hold of and/or hook to a line and haul in using the davits.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Our little Yorkie loves sailing, but always has to wear a PFD unless down below. The best part of the PFD is the easy carry handle on top. She also usually wears her leash when above.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Twisty,

Glad your baby was ok and your DOB check went well.

We were visiting friends anchored in Ft. Myers. Bill was rowing our two dogs and their's ashore for a little walk when Trevor (our 100 lb. choc. lab) decided he could go much faster than Bill was rowing (so true!). Bill, not being that familiar with our dog, tried to get him back in the boat by grabbing his collar. Of course, off came the collar/no dog.

In this particular situation, it wasn't a concern -- Trevor could make it to shore no problem. But it did make us think about what would happen at sea. So we purchased harness-type collars so we could have something to grab hold of and/or hook to a line and haul in using the davits.
One of the things we did realize is if we had been on anything but the little boat lifting him back in would have been a problem. Unfortunately the last time we put him in a harness he chewed thru it in about 10 mins. Thankfully he is not a dog that his neck is as big as his head(like my other dog). But I really need to figure out a way to either get him to wear a harness or a different way to get him back in the boat other than lifting him like we did.

I actually think he thought he could get to shore faster than we could too. We were barely moving while looking at a sailboat whose keel was in the mud and she was laying over resting on her lines or I should say line, one was tight the other 3 slack, because of how low the tide was, so we were only 50ft or so from the shore. I could have let him swim to the beach but I don't want that to become habit I want him to come back to the boat, using the beach only as a last resort.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unfortunately the last time we put him in a harness he chewed thru it in about 10 mins.
Hmmm! To get kids to stop biting their fingernails you put something nasty tasting on them. Wonder if the same principle here would work for your dog???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wouldn't work for MY dogs.....they eat CRAP out of the yard!....find something nastier than that and you might have a winner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hmmm! To get kids to stop biting their fingernails you put something nasty tasting on them. Wonder if the same principle here would work for your dog???
Believe it or not toothpaste works. There is one that is really really strong, even I don't like it. But I can just see my boat now covered in toothpaste.

But hey atleast it would be minty fresh! lol

Buckeye if they are eating crap they are missing some mineral in their diet or so I am told, ask you vet next time in. Though some, like my other dog, think the litter box contents are tootsie rolls and can't be stopped. Blah!

·
Registered
118 Posts
electricity works.
Are YOU nuts? Water. ELECTRICITY! never mix.

I was thinking that the actual Stop Thumb-sucking crap would do just fine. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wouldn't work for MY dogs.....they eat CRAP out of the yard!....find something nastier than that and you might have a winner.
Sounds like they should seek help from the AFOC gang.:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hot sauce works for dogs, unfortunately it stains anything but stainless steel.
Tried it, he ate it. He went thru a chewing on the leash thing about a yr ago. eventually he grew out of it, but leashes are a lot less expensive than harnesses, especially when you have about 100 ft of worn dock lies kicking around.

Your know that really really hot chinese mustard you get at the chinese rest. he actually likes that stuff. I never said he was a sane dog. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have a boat with a battery?
Sorry. I was balking at the combination of the two for a dog going overboard.:) Not the bigger picture.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Last time I had the little one to the Vet, for an obvious stomach problem, he asks, "Is there any chance she got into any People food?"

haha.....I answered, "There's a SLIGHT chance she got into some DOG food!"

·
Registered
118 Posts
Last time I had the little one to the Vet, for an obvious stomach problem, he asks, "Is there any chance she got into any People food?"

HA ha ha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

:laugher :laugher

Sounds like my two.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts