SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outboard: Buying, Type & Fitting

Hi

Thinking of replacing my 35 year old Yanmar diesel in my GRP custom - built fin keel vessel with outboard 10 - 15hp (4 - stroke).

Secondhand seems to be the way to go.

Anyone have tips to look for when buying used outboard? Tips on fitting, mounting, tanks? Is long shaft necessarily the best for auxillary? Anyone recommend brand? I hear Evinrude, Yamaha, Honda are good.I plan to mount it on outboard bracket.

Eventually I will do coastal cruising when I get enough skill and experience - novice sailor.

Any advice most appreciated.

Dale T Stewart

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dale,long shaft is a MUST. Look over the transom when sailing or motoring to see how the prop would stay in the water as boat goes over waves. If you have a swim ladder let it down to simulate prop depth and watch it in different wave patterns. Joe Mc.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new motor

Just replaced my old '76 Johnson long shaft outboard with a new Mercury longshaft 6 hp. four stroke for my Georgian 23. With the trade in it came to $1500.00 canadian. I found it difficult to find a half decent motor at a reasonable price in the used market, and I didn't want to take a chance with someone elses problem in the middle of the lake. So for me in the end it was better to buy new and get the three year warrenty and peace of mind for a few extra bucks. s.v. Arvore Blues

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
outboard longshaft question

I recently bought a 27 lancer with a 9.9 merc long shaft. I am transfering engine to 14 foot aluminum for temp dinghy. Must motor be mounted at transom height or raised on transom to certain heigt for running?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.