SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an outboard that is hard to tilt all the way up and out of the water.

Although the motor mount has a retractable bracket, the combination of design, placement and difficulty to get to make that not a practical option so I want to pull the motor out of the water when I'm ready to sail by tilting it all the way up.

The angle of my reach and the weight of the motor make this a difficult job, and also makes it more likely I'll lose my grip and it will bang down when I'm lowering it, possibly damaging the transom.

Any solutions to this? I was thinking about possibly attaching a line to the back handle on the outboard and rigging up some kind of way to crank it up through a block but this is not well developed idea so far.

Grateful for any suggestions of advice.

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I had the same issue on my boat. We replaced the mount to one that was more compatible with the situation. You still had to lean out over the transom and I would hate to let it go at the wrong moment for sure.

I have seen sliding mounts connected to block and tackle instead of the spring based units. Those look like they would work for some boats.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a 4hp on a 17' boat that I could not raise the bracket on due to weight and having to lean out to far. I put a strap on it that allowed me to stand straight up while lifting it. That worked well and might help you with tilting the OB.
If your talking about a 100lb or so OB, I needed to replace the 9.9 on my 25' boat and opted for the power tilt. Well worth the couple hundred for the option. Of course, if you got a good OB now, I would try the lifting strap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.