SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

Ā· Living the dream
350 Posts
Reaction score
I'd go with water in the engine, pulling the plug, maybe snapping the pull cord because of hydraulic lock, dropping plug or spanner over the side, finding pull chord, another spanner / plug etc.

And I don't think anyone jump and swim for it until the very last moment I.e. jump just as the boat goes over the wall.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Ā· Living the dream
350 Posts
Reaction score
I actually based my scenario on a real life experience! Many, many years ago when I had only recently purchased my first ever boat I took it out on a man made lake for the weekend. This boat was a power boat about 16 feet in length and had an old 50 hp 2 stroke motor. It was impossible to anchor in this lake, because it was full of dead trees, most still standing. This meant that even in quite deep water the trunks and branches of dead trees poked above the surface. First night out I decided to "park" for the night in an arm across from the dam wall. Because of the dead trees, I simply tied the boat off to a suitable height branch of a dead tree. As these things go, after dark the the storm clouds gathered and it started to rain, the wind came up and thunder and lightening persisted for most of the night. Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink that night. If you've never seen dead trees in a lake, some start to sway alarmingly in any form of wind driven chop. The tree I'd tied to was in this category. All night I imagined either the tree I was tied to snapping and the water logged trunk sinking immediately to the bottom and dragging me and my boat with it, or my boat breaking loose from it's tie line and being blown over the dam's spillway. At first light I leapt from my bunk (the boat was a half cabin style) and saw about 2 inches of rain water covering the floor of the boat and did the whole "I'm outta here" thing and started the engine. It started fine, ran for a few seconds then sputtered and stopped. Somehow water had gotten either into the fuel line or maybe even the air intake (it really rained and blew!) and had then been drawn into the engine, wetting the plugs. This required me to pull the two or three plugs the engine had whilst leaning over the back of the engine hoping like crazy that I dropped neither a plug or the only plug spanner I had onboard.

Fortunately, I managed to clean the water off the plugs and get everything reassembled without sending anything to the bottom. The engine started first kick afterwards and stayed running. I immediately motored back to the boat ramp which upon reaching, and in spite it being devoid of witnesses due to the inclement weather, I managed to somersault over the bow and land backside first on the beach due to the combination of coming in too hot and picking the wrong moment to run to the bow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.