SailNet Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well OK, the OP's question has been answered, engines can do this, yes.

I'll also just point out it will be impossible, even if attempted on the Summer Solstice, to make the trip without either exiting or entering an unfamiliar harbor in pitch darkness. To say neither is a good idea would be an understatement.

Me, I would plan on making this a three day trip, both to de-stress it and allow for weather.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If your boat likes to "hobbyhorse" in a head sea, you might find your outboard not getting enough water to drink or to "drive" when the bow dips and stern rises. Cavitation, overspeeding, and overheating are the result.

The one place you need reliable power in rough weather is if you're trying to claw your way off a lee shore, and can't do it under sail alone.

If you aren't in that kind of geography, then good. I've found outboards to be reliable and wonderful in light air and sea conditions, all day and all night. But I respect their limitations compared to a fixed prop way beneath the waterline, and in front of a nice big rudder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMO 2 strokes will out perform and provide greater reliability than the complex engined 4 stroke, they are also substantially lighter....due to less parts being used during construction.
Over the years (40+) having used 15, 25, 70, 90 and 115hp 2 strokes on my various Tenders I have NEVER had one breakdown or even foul a plug.
I guess if you're a maintenance guy like me you'll make sure she's looked after....i.e. Lower unit gear oil, spare lower unit seal set,
spare plugs and plug wrench just in case, correct mix of 2 stroke oil with fresh mid grade fuel.
Sounds as if the OP should dump the sail boat and purchase a nice little cabin cruiser.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,464 Posts
Over the years (40+) having used 15, 25, 70, 90 and 115hp 2 strokes on my various Tenders I have NEVER had one breakdown or even foul a plug.
What kind of boat has a tender with 115 hp?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@jphotoeg......you obviously havent noticed Tenders with 3 x 300hp bolted on to the transom???? Mr. Bacardi sons have a tender 40ft w/3 x 300hp yammys......theres hundreds out there, possibly thousands....youve just got to be where they are......

21 - 25 of 25 Posts