SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you store your gasoline? I have owned my Kent Ranger 24 for nearly ten years and (as the previous owner did before me) I keep gasoline in a 6-gallon plastic tank in the port cockpit bench/seat locker. I recently realized that any leaked fuel or vapor has access to the cabin - the locker isn't sealed off and drains ultimately into the bilge. My understanding is the gasoline vapor can potentially collect in the cabin sole and bilge, creating a fire hazard. Obviously hasn't been an issue yet, but I'm wondering if I should figure out a way to keep it out in the open in the cockpit. I'd be interested in what other folks do on boats like this. (I only have an outboard, no inboard).

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
I hate having the tank underfoot, even in the dinghy. My last three dinghies had bow lockers, as mandatory, for this reason.

Can you put some ventilation to/from the locker and seal it off from fumes going anywhere else in the boat?

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Fuel/liquids storage on a boat can be quite vexxed.

I was about to put my plastic bottle of Hydrochloric Acid next to the bleach in my locker that has the gasoline, diesel and a spare full propane gas bottle. The paint thinners and Acetone are together in there too.

Any size boat doesn't have proper space and adequate ventilation... and if doing longer passages the bottle will rub up next to each other.

The liquids are now separated... but I have the acid bottle under the saloon table. No good.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
5,106 Posts
My 21 ft boat has a pretty good storage well for gas adjacent to the outboard well.

Rather than try to describe it, took a couple of pics, boats a bit messy from being left uncovered in the driveway.
Composite material Gas Electrical wiring Engineering Machine
Composite material Vehicle Gas Wood Electrical wiring

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same problem in my early Catalina 22 - cockpit locker with fuel tank platform was exposed to cabin interior and bilge.

I ended up putting it outside at the aft end of the cockpit sole between the seats and beneath the tiller. I had a strap to keep it from sliding forward - C22’s had their cockpit drains at the forward end of cockpit so the sole sloped forward.

Later C22’s had a better setup, btw, starting around 1982 as I recall.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
What other people said. But also consider a newer can with low-permeation plastic.

If you cannot find a place in the open, SEAL the locker from the cabin and create a vapor drain somewhere safe (preferably overboard). The locker must have no electrical gear and minimize other storage in that locker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts