SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using my 1982 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke electric start OB
and it makes a annoying whirring sound right in the rpm range I like to cruise at. At low to idle its quiet and at WOT its probably drowned out, but at
about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle the whirring is noise is givng me a headache.
I suppose I could climb over the stern for a closer listen but that seems a little stupid.
Anyone experienced something like this???

While I've got you reading try this one, same motor at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle will suddenly drop rpm by half or more, run awhile (2 to 15 seconds) and then speed back up. I guessing a plugged fuel filter somewhere, which means sooner or later I'll be without a running motor. Any guesses on this one??
BTW this is a sweet motor unless it turns out to be haunted or something

·
Registered
928 Posts
You may just be hearing intake noise.

The motor has a baffel like thing over the carb to prevent water entry and maybe to control noise.

I packed the baffel with motorcycle air cleaner material and it made my 8hp 2 stroke so quiet you can hear the pee water splash at an idle and untill it cavatates at about 1/2 throttle you can barley hear it.

It might just be the starter motor bendix drive on the starter is not desengaging.

Maybe the lower end need lube.

That is about all I think that makes a whirring noise.

Try replacing a small fuel filter under the cover first.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh, hell just wait another 20 years to fix it. it's not like you are pressed for time if you just started using the motor. LOL
LOL! Good one, Skippy!!:D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Bubb-

You're evil, evil, evil...but funny... :) :laugher
Oh, hell just wait another 20 years to fix it. it's not like you are pressed for time if you just started using the motor. LOL

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Noise

My little Tuhatsu 3.5 does makes grinding/whirring sounds at mid range. When I took it to a dealer, he determined it was a loose carb connection. It worked fine for about 2 hours?? I'd put an extension on mine and suspect that may have something to do w the noise but I am going to bring it back...soon:p ... to have it fixed. Thats about the one good thing of having my boat on the hard, oh yeah, I have a lot of other things to do w it..."a boat is a hole...$"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts