SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have been living aboard my Catalina 22 for the past couple months in Satelite Beach FL (close to Cocoa Beach) and I couldn't be happier. In a month I'm going to be sailing/motoring it down to Key West to live with some other boaters. The motor I have on the back is an all but worthless Suzuki 8hp from the 1980s. When I bought the boat about a year ago the motor hadn't been run for two years or so. Suffice to say I'm purchasing a new outboard.

Here's my question:

What horse power do I need? I've been doing some research and it appears that a 6hp, 25" shaft Tohatsu would be the best bet because it has a little more power than is needed to reach hull speed and is light weight (and the price is right); however, I do live on the boat, which means it's pretty weighted down with amenities (i.e. fridge, oven, microwave, TV, etc.).

So, with all this extra weight on board plus the length of the trip (six to eight days, which I will probably end up using the motor for most of) will a 6hp be adequate, or should I spring for an 8hp?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I had a long shaft 4HP on mine, and it was plenty of power

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
In Tohatsus, the 4, 5, and 6HP models are all the same block, just with different carbs to adjust the output. There's no weight savings in getting a 4 or 5 over a 6. Similarly, the 8 is the same block as the 9.8, and they weigh the same. Going from 6 to 8 is a relatively big jump up in weight for not much more power. None of them will get you substantially over hull speed. The 8 might get you there marginally faster, but it will use more gas and put more weight on your transom.

If it were me, I'd get a 6 with a high thrust prop. The high thrust is larger diameter, more surface area on the blades, and lower pitch, so you'll get more oomph where you need it for pushing a displacement hull.

FWIW, I had a Tohatsu 5 on my C22 (with the high thrust prop) and thought it was great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all your ressonses. Thanks Chip for the prop upgrade suggestion I think I will go with that.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
I have an older 6 hp evinrude which came with a 2 blade 7 1/4 pitch which i replaced with a 3 blade 8 1/3 pitch which works great. If I were buying new I'd go with 5 or 6 hp and a upgrade the prop as Chip said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts