SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been living aboard my Catalina 22 for the past couple months in Satelite Beach FL (close to Cocoa Beach) and I couldn't be happier. In a month I'm going to be sailing/motoring it down to Key West to live with some other boaters. The motor I have on the back is an all but worthless Suzuki 8hp from the 1980s. When I bought the boat about a year ago the motor hadn't been run for two years or so. Suffice to say I'm purchasing a new outboard.

Here's my question:

What horse power do I need? I've been doing some research and it appears that a 6hp, 25" shaft Tohatsu would be the best bet because it has a little more power than is needed to reach hull speed and is light weight (and the price is right); however, I do live on the boat, which means it's pretty weighted down with amenities (i.e. fridge, oven, microwave, TV, etc.).

So, with all this extra weight on board plus the length of the trip (six to eight days, which I will probably end up using the motor for most of) will a 6hp be adequate, or should I spring for an 8hp?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.