SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well through a series of twists and turns I came up with a new Tohatsu 9.9 with EFI on Friday past. I used it this weekend while at the boat, its a great motor and will have no problem getting our family on plane in our dink. At 96lbs. it is quite difficult to move around myself with any confidence in not destroying it, so I already can see the tremendous value in a lift system. I'm already second guessing my decision due to its weight. I installed a beautiful 'simple systems marine' motor mount to the push pit, however due to the design of the 1988 C 36 push pit I am rather concerned about the weight and stability of this mounting location and therefore am re-considering the motor size, or at least come up with a way to stabilize the push pit so I don't fear that the whole enchilada is going to collapse into the sea on a bouncy transit. Any suggestions or ideas of solving that issue so I can sail with confidence knowing the back end of my boat isn't going to get ripped off into the drink? Add another vertical post to the push pit? An entirely independent mounting system that doesn't rely on the integrity of the push pit? What kind of motor hoist should I research? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
The steps in weight...
6hp 55ish
8hp 80s
10hp 100ish

You want close to zero movement when mounted
A tight leash never hurts
That mount has the weight on 2 rails

Maybe look for rough water with your fingers and eyes on those rails
She if you get movement

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh she moves just sitting there for that test fit, hence my concern for writing this post.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
You're definitely going to need an engine lift. I had a 4 hp. 55 lb. merc. that was difficult enough. I traded for a smaller 3 hp. which was about 15 lbs. lighter. I can one hand it into the dink. If you keep your 9.9 you might want to add some SS angle braces and bases to the stern. Might find something stock, or if you're in a yard that fabricates and welds, they could work something up.

Which kind of lift? There are several on the market. Kato Lift is one I looked at. I'd want the 4 to one purchase at least.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yeah that's a pretty beefy engine. Perhaps you should consider an engine davit. Many designs have a base that bolts to the transom or deck, and then they clamp to the pushpit. That would serve a dual purpose, making it easier to lift your engine, and providing some structural reinforcement to the pushpit.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
My OB is about the same weight. We use a Garhauer de-mountable lift system. I made the mount from 2 planks of teak with grooves cut in them... screwed together. Later I added an aluminum angle on the top so the the OB clamps don't destroy the teak and the end grain is not exposed to rain. It's quite robust and seems to reinforce the railing... Easy to fabricate.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Is the pushpit twisting or is the movement at the bases, where they bed to the deck?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The movement is back and forth, don't believe it is twisting, and the bases are solid. My pushpit looks similar to SanderO from what I can see.

As a side note I noticed when I opened my sideway pictures that if I clicked on them again the righted themselves....so thats a win

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
The movement is back and forth, don't believe it is twisting, and the bases are solid.
I probably should have been more clear than twisting. You're saying the metal tubing itself is deforming while moving, as opposed to the bases allowing the movement.

I'm a bit surprised, even by a 100lb motor, but if that's the case, you'll need to reinforce the structure. You can buy tubing and fittings to fashion a strut or brace support of some kind. Not hard.

An engine winch should be on your list either way and, if left attached, could take some of the load off. However, it wouldn't be as helpful when healed over, so I still think you could use a mod.

I noted the four screw/bolt heads on the base of the pushbit deck fittings and wondered what they were. Are they screwed down, thru bolted, are there backing plates to allow for rigidity. If screws or simply fender washers on the other side of a bolt, you could fashion better backing plates, which makes sense of other reasons too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No deformation of the tubing just bouncing around, so I guess that putting better backing plates could be the first order and then probably have something fashioned for support. Ya, a motor hoist is on the long short list now.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I like that, I'm assuming you had to add a 'T' to the upper horizontal as well? Is that motor on the stern 1/4 or on the transom rail?

Edit: I researched some 'T' brackets and think I've found a fix (or at least a possible solution) thanks to MacBlaze. I've ordered a few brackets that are hinged, a stanchion base and ordered a section of SS tubing. When I go to the boat next with parts in hand and see what I can do I'll report back on my solution if it works or not...

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
Hunter 386
548 Posts
I like that, I'm assuming you had to add a 'T' to the upper horizontal as well? Is that motor on the stern 1/4 or on the transom rail?

Edit: I researched some 'T' brackets and think I've found a fix (or at least a possible solution) thanks to MacBlaze. I've ordered a few brackets that are hinged, a stanchion base and ordered a section of SS tubing. When I go to the boat next with parts in hand and see what I can do I'll report back on my solution if it works or not...

Thanks for the input
Great stuff. Not a complete solution I think but it certainly adds some stability and peace of mind.

For us, the motor mount had a vertical channel T'ing with the horizontal so there was no need for an upper tee. Hunters have transom seats and the motor is mounted on the side of one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having reviewed these posts twice I keep asking myself "why all the over engineering?".

On our previous Columbia 36, we had davits for the dink which we would use when moored or anchored with a 4HP Suzuki. However when underway for a passage of any length, we would hoist the OB with the main halyard and mount it inside the pushpit on the stern rail with a cable lock. The lower unit is only 15" on a Short OB and with the power head turned it rode well aft of the lazarette. We would mount the dink on the foredeck overturned since the motion in a seaway when it was on the davits would often poop it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My motor weighs twice that suzuki 4hp. I just don't want the push pit bouncing and flexing under way, I'd rather have close to 0 movement. I have considered using the main halyard as well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts