SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an older Johnson 6hp Seahorse that had been sitting for a while, but ran wonderfully for a day after I bought it, but is now not turning over. I'm sure it needs to be gone over. Anyone know a good, honest outboard mech. in CT area? I know I should take care of it myself, but I don't have time. Thanks.
Greg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dale, I know that it is hard to say from a distance, but when you say oil mix problem, is that a carb issue or something else? Thanks. Greg

·
Registered
411 Posts
GMC not sure where you are at but I always used Greg's Outboard Service in Old Saybrook. He's on Rt 1. Very good service and price is very reasonable.. Greg Fiorelli 8602272154

Peter

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Outboard motors need oil mixed in gas , depending on the year of motor The mix can be different. not enough oil and motor will stop turning over. Most OMC use 50 to 1 mix Older ones run 25 to 1 and you must use 2 stroke outboard oil.....Dale

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMC not sure where you are at but I always used Greg's Outboard Service in Old Saybrook. He's on Rt 1. Very good service and price is very reasonable.. Greg Fiorelli 8602272154

Peter
about an hour away, I'll give him a call, thanks.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
We find Marine Sport Center - 2400 Fairfield Ave. in Bridgeport- knows what they're doing and works hard at it. Lots of difficult to find obsolete or discontinued parts and helpful advice.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I think when the OP says the engine won't turn over, he means it won't start. Won't turn over normally means it is seized.

No oil in the gas might make it seize, it won't prevent an unseized engine from starting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts