SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
I''m not sure if there are "bad" outboards on the market, but I have had good experience with Honda 4 cycles. Changing the oil takes minutes and it beats mixing oil & gas every time you fill up. I have an old Honda 10 on my 26'' Balboa and I''m happy with it. Maybe somebody else can comment on noise, I think they''re all noisy.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 9.9 on a 28 foot boat and have had excellent performance. The design of the propeller allows the exhaust gasses to exit at the front in reverse and it stops the boat very quickly. Other motors suck the gasses back into the prop in reverse. Fuel economy is much improved over the 2 stroke I used to have.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
It''s a Magnum 28 trailer sailer (built in Australia) with a displacement of about 2tonnes (probably closer to 2.5t when my wife has loaded it up). I get 6 knots plus with plenty in reserve for pushing into weather. All the Magnums run 9.9 Yamahas although the new motors have the 15hp body and will no longer fit into the engine well.
I was recently talking to the owner of a 36 foot catamaran who just completed a circumnavigation of Australia and he used a single 9.9 Yamaha as his only motor and was pleased with its performance.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
that depends where are you going to sail her that is just get in and out on smooth lake in the gulf were Isail you are in trouble you need at least a 7 h.p. and that is with your hull speed conserded if your on a small lake your ok.Rick

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
I also have a 2600# disp, 26ft sloop (same boat as rbh1515) and it has a Nissan 3.5hp 2 stroke. With little/no current I make about 5kts SOG in forward, almost the computed hull speed. I don''t think I need more power than that. It is very loud (forget about hearing the VHF), vibrates the whole boat and has a tiny internal tank with gravity feed only and that needs refilling every 40 minutes or so (at full throttle) from a gerry can. If you are in a slip and would like to back in or out, a motor with FNR gears that can throttle up in R would be a better bet. The Nissan 3.5A starts in gear and to go in R you turn the motor around. If you throttle up at all, the plastic fitting that is supposed to stop the motor from kicking up slips its coupling. I''m on a mooring so I don''t really use reverse, and this little thing is fine for my everyday needs. But not being able to hear the VHF and the probability of spillage while refueling are not exactly endearing features.

Rob - how does the C26 like having 50# plus fuel on its tail? Does the external tank fit into the starboard locker?

--Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.