SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I''m buying a 26'' sailboat. Need to buy an outboard. Any advise on what brand. I''m looking for a 4-5hp long shaft. Any brands people have had really good or really bad experience with. Also trying to decide on 2 or 4 cycle. I know the 4 cycle is a lot cleaner, but the 2 cycle weighs less for most brands (~10 lbs less), you never have to worry about changing oil and I''m not worried about efficiency (and I''m not in California). I''m just going in and out from the slip for daysailing. Is there a big difference in noise between 2 and 4 cycle?

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I''ll let you know this summer how my engine works. As I mentioned, I got a 4hp Yamaha. The company selling the boat offers a 3.5hp engine with the boat, which has a displacement of 2600#''s. They say the 3.5hp is plenty. I met a local person that has the same boat and uses a 5hp engine and says it is plenty of power. I think alot of people overpower their sailboats. I want a light weight engine--this one is only 50#. I''ll be sailing in Lake Michigan. No currents but plenty of wind and waves. Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,
I think that your memory escapes you (or you are a bit weak). The 4hp Yamaha is a 4 stroke with FNR and with built in tank (and its a long shaft). I have lifted it and it is very light compared with other outboards. There is no other 4hp 4 stroke made with FNR that I know of that weighs less. If you can find one let me know. The 2 strokes are a lighter, but no where near 30#. My father had a 4.5hp 2 stroke Mercury outboard that he bought new in the 70''s and it was much heavier (they were made of all metal back then). Maybe you''re thinking of 30kgs--big difference (~2.2 factor). The 4 stroke, although a bit heavier, has much better fuel efficiency, is whisper quiet, and doesn''t smoke. Being a sailor, I like these qualities.
~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here''s the data:
Mercury 4hp 4 stroke: 55#
Mercury 4hp 2 stroke: 43#
Honda 5hp 4 stroke: 61# (they dont make a 4hp)
Nissan 4hp 4 stroke: 57#
Nissan 5hp 2 stroke: 44#
Johnson/Evinrude
5hp 4 stroke: 68#
Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke: 50#

Did I forget any major brands??
I don''t see any 30 pounders. It would be nice if they could make them that light. I think I''ll stick with my 50# Yamaha that you can''t even hear when its idling!! No smoke either!!
Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats the displacement on your O''Day 26. My Colgate 26 is 2600# and I got the 4hp Yamaha (50#). I won''t have to deal with current, but we do have wind and waves on Lake Michigan. I''ll let everyone know how it works next month when I get the boat.
Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the Yamaha literature. The Yamaha 9.9 weighs in at 91#. I presume that is a short shaft weight. Long shaft would add about 2-3#''s so it would be weigh about 10% less than the Johnson.

Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have not gotten my 26'' sailboat (Disp=2600) in the water yet and am still wondering how the 4hp Yamaha will push it. Last weekend I met someone with a J27 (Disp=3800). He also has a Yamaha 4hp outboard, and said it has plenty of power to push his boat!
Rob ~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mike-
Actually just bought my boat and its not in the water yet--waiting to have the bottom painted. A friend in Milwaukee also has a Colgate 26 and has a 5hp 4 stroke Nissan (around 60#''s). It is about 10#''s heavier than the Yamaha, and he says it works great. Remember, the boat was designed to have an instructor in the stern, and that could add a couple hundred pounds. I usually won''t have anyone back there unless my wife lets the 5 & 8 year olds go back there (fat chance).
The Yamaha 4 stroke I''m told is whisper quiet and doesn''t vibrate, and has FNR. It has an small internal tank (I think about 2 liters). The engine is much more efficient than a 2 cycle, so it wont need to be filled often. Also you can plug in an external tank if you want--don''t think I''ll need it.
Cost was $1030. I couldn''t find a lighter 4 or 5 hp 4 stroke outboard than the Yamaha, and they have an excellent reputation. Also, I''m keeping the boat at a slip, so I need the FNR.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~

· Registered
202 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had my maiden voyage on my Colgate 26 today. My Yamaha 4 stroke 4hp worked great. Pushed the boat right along and was very quiet with minimal vibration. Pretty good for a 50 lb motor pushing a 2600 lb Colgate 26. The level of the gas in the internal tank barely budged. Also, the Colgate 26 was fantastic to sail--was incredibly fast and comfortable. Good combination.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.