·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Has anyone tried this in a sailboat
Need to change my propane oven but the price is prohibitive
So found this one
Amazon.com: Camp Chef Camping Outdoor Oven with 2 Burner Camping Stove: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51aGT7UPHgL

Seems to be the right size and absolutely the right price even if it last only a couple of seasons

I have the timbale and the propane adapter for gallon tank

What do you think?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
That is likely to not have any kind of shut off in case the burners go out. I would not use it, and if your boat is insured, they would likely not be happy with the install of a non marine grade unit. I would look for a used stove, as you know it is marine grade. Look in a used marine salvage yard. unfortunately none of them seem to have good web sites so you may have to fill out a request for info. Or check eBay.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean not marine grade ? This thing is stainless steel

And I do have.A shut off valve at the tank Level

I really do not see much difference with the other ovens so called "marine oven"

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
it's not designed to be used in a built-in application, like in a boat galley- you might find you have to install some heat shielding around the oven. The oven is only 3000 btu's-
a 2 burner Seaward Princess marine range has a 10 000 btu oven.
Sure, the carcass is stainless steel- but what about the burners, igniters, etc.? There are lots of 30-40 year old marine stoves around...
how many 30 year old barbecues have you seen recently?

Place an ad on your local craigslist etc looking for a galleyy stove, and i bet you can find a real mmarine oven for about the same price as the camp oven at the top of the page.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
while it will work youll see many just dont like using anything but "real" marine ovens and burners

in all honesty any small camping stove or small little galley can be made to work

there is nothing inherently special in marine grade cokkery other than gimballs, pot retainers, and the better use of stainless etc...

some are really well made though and worth the price

im saying this from a cooks perspective

you can also make a secondary shutoff valve thats not a big issue

where are you located?

I always persue craigslist and its awesome what you can find sometimes

force 3 ovens, old alcohol stoves, kerosen gimballed stoves, etc...all for a song or being sold for next to nothing

btw that pic shows a stainless lined oven most likely but the top and sides of the stove itself and probably the liners and racks are most definetly not stainless....

having said that my boat originall came with an enameled oven with 2 burners...no stainless anywhere on that cooker...and its ORIGINAL...

I also dont see any shutoff valve built into the set either

my 2 cents

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
If you are not willing to install a proper propane system then I would suggest that you go non pressurized alcohol. They can be installed free standing. Cookmate is a copy of the Orgo and are quiet a bit cheaper, though it may not have an oven.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts