SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I've had an SSB installed on this and prior boats. All come that way, from the prior owner. On my last boat, it was used to insure functionality, but never needed by me or it's original owner. The prior owner of my current boat used it for the Oyster World Rally and it's a required piece of kit, for semi-daily fleet check in.

If not for being required, I would not bother with one. Then again, I have two EPIRBs (on installed on the rail and the other in the ditch bag), a PLB on each lifevest, an InReach, a Sat phone, etc, etc. An SSB might be considered a less expensive way to go for some, but I prefer redundant satellite comms.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
It varies from what the starlink site says, but I'd prefer that to Iridium Go if in fact it hits market in the next 8 months.
When do you expect to need satellite internet services? They are only predicting to have Starlink up and going in about that time frame and, at best, it will be Ver 1.0. Once proven, I'm certain it will advance quickly. If proven, I suppose I should add, but I'm guessing odds are favorable.

I think I would sort this stuff out, within about 6 months of departure.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I know the text messaging system for the InReach is character limited, but I'm surprised they haven't figured a way to send a serious of messages that could be used to construct a grib file. They already have the app to connect the device to a smartphone. Recombining the messages and running a display app would seem child's play. It might take a half hour to download, but that's not unlike other media. I'm betting, just like so many other things, marine offshore demand is so small, it just doesn't warrant the development time.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
People always love lithium batteries just after they spend a small fortune on them, then the enthusiasm drops off quickly when things go south with them
Yes, they are breathtaking expensive, but I've had mine for one year and absolutely love them. The massive capacity, the ability to draw massive loads and recharge at the equivalent of 12v 400 amps per hour (they'd take more if I had it), no more constant 100SOC stress and we love them.

We did not want a home brew DIY setup, as I'm not experienced with them and your point about lack of support stands. However, we have a Mastervolt system and had one issue recently. You can download a diagnostic file and email it to technical support at Mastervolt, who responded immediately. Turned out to be a simple issue, I just wasn't familiar enough to note, but won't miss is again. With internet access and a computer hooked up to the Mastervolt controller (via simple USB cable), tech support can sign right on to your system and do all the work from afar.

Love them. Zero enthusiasm drop. If anything, I'm blown away by the global support.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Starlink will wipe Iridium Go off the planet in the same way Iridium wiped SSB off the planet a decade ago.
While grossly inferior tech, ironically, SSB has not been wiped of the planet. I think you can still buy them new and, as far as I know, the Oyster Rally leaving in Jan still requires one aboard.

Still, I would not have one, unless I needed it for something like that.

Starlink is far from proven it will deliver as promised. What tech company ever does?

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I take it from your post that you have not yet traveled by boat very far from your home port.
Please cut out the snottiness. This is the second time in as many days you've suggested as much. I've sailed everywhere from the Caribbean to the Bahamas to Maine and much between. If I disagree with you, it's not cause for puffing your chest out and displaying your feathers.

Every lithium owner I know absolutely loves them. Get over it. You're entitled to your opinion and to have lead acid, if you prefer.

Your quick fix won’t work out so well and your enthusiasm will wane quickly when things busticate in remote spots
My recent issue required no replacement parts to correct. Could have been done absolutely anywhere with internet access, via satellite or cell phone. They can also download and update software, for every individual system, from afar. I also have a stock of spare parts aboard. My charging is done by two redundant chargers in parallel, which work through the Mastervolt software. If one were to have a problem, it can be shut off and the other still works. Same with the four batteries. You can shut off and isolate any single battery, with a simple turn of a switch, and the rest works fine. I've never seen a lead acid setup that can so easily be put back online with a single battery fault.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
How about bilge pumps on the port and starboard sides as to be effective while heeled over?
What boat are we talking about and is there a low bilge? I would think this shouldn't be an issue on a modern engineered ocean rated hull. (not that those ocean ratings are all they're cracked up to be)

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I swapped out the current 12 y/o deformed AGM for some nice new shiny happy AGM batteries.
That makes sense. As much as I wanted more capacity on a prior boat, it was far more simple and extremely less expensive to just replace what the systems had already been designed for. Changing battery chemistry can become a full replacement of charge systems, controllers, possibly alternators, etc, etc. I'm sure I'd have made the same call as you, unless what you have is a problem.

solar guy said same thing about LI in far off places
I was only attempting to distinguish between the one off systems, which seem very common, and the reputable manufactured systems. Not clear which the solar guy was thinking about. If I had to disconnect half my lithium batteries due to issues (which is literally the turn of a switch), I'd still have the capacity of an AGM bank that took up the same space. Just offering as food for thought of those reading. Not trying to change your mind.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
5) Steering system overhaul ( quadrant, etc..)
Not sure what you have for steering, but this is a good idea. Inspect it all. Assuming there is cable, run a paper towel over all the wire and see if catches any fishhooks (broken wires). If there are any, a replacement is mandatory. Depending on age and condition, you may want to replace as a preventive measure. If there is a chain, they are often hard to fully see. It's common for them to stretch a bit, so tweaking an adjustment might be in order. Cleaning everything up and using the proper lubricant is important. Check with the manufacturer of whatever you have.

8) figure out best system for rigging spinnaker as has no system currently, but do have a nice un-used asym. I do have spinnaker halyard and sheets, but strangely no tack
If you have an asym, you don't need a pole for it. There are some fancy things you can do with one anyway (including poling out the tack to create a DDW sail, but virtually no one does these. I never have.)

A whisker pole, on the other hand, might come in handy for the headsail either for a dual headsail setup or simply to hold the clew up in lighter deeper downwind.

The tack can take many forms. ATN makes a tacker that wraps around the furled foresail, which many use if they do not have an alternate place to properly tack a sail. Effectively, you're using the foresails chainplate to take the load, I guess.

On smaller boats, folks have gotten away with tacking to the bow roller, but these are not always designed for that. Important to know whether yours is or is not. A fixed tack is fairly simple, if you find the right place to secure it. Might take some trial and error to zero in the legnth. If you prefer a tack you can adjust and want to run it back to the cockpit, you'll need a properly anchored block up there and come fairleads down the deck. Maybe a clutch near the cockpit. Then there are those that fashion a removable bow sprit, which often attaches through the bow roller. Ours works this way and uses the spare side of the roller. As noted, the bow roller on our has been designed to take this load. Tons of way to skin this cat.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
The above has nothing to do with the appropriateness of SSB for the OP, or anyone, just an observation that it isn't a dying breed, but is a continually developing and advancing one.
I've always wished someone would create an Ipad app, where you connected the ipad to the radio and it did the rest. Tuning, email modem decoding, etc. Sort of like an automated Pactor. I figure the market is too small for that to be viable, but if Icom is still developing, then maybe. While I wouldn't have one otherwise, one of these days I would like to tag along on a rally that requires them.

1 - 10 of 11 Posts