SailNet Community banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Ya, I just saw they offered one w/o the battery. I'm looking around at other systems and considering my options. I have removed my holding tank and all associated plumbing, water pumps, macerators. I do have some space in awkward places and existing thru hulls that are no longer being used for aforementioned items. I'd want to put in new thru hulls that hadn't previously been used for poop however.

·
bell ringer
5,650 Posts
Almost everything about living on a boat can be fixed by proper application of cash.

I think a lot of this thread is showing trying to do too much, too soon, with not the understanding and thought needed because of the trying to do too much too soon.

Reactions: Davil

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
^^^^
Almost everything about living on a boat can be fixed by proper application of cash.

Of which I do not have.

I think a lot of this thread is showing trying to do too much, too soon, with not the understanding and thought needed because of the trying to do too much too soon.

I guess replacing my ports that leaked like mad, were 30+ years old, rebedding deck hardware that had never been re-bedded, installing modern electronics, replacing 13 y/o batteries, getting a dinghy so I can explore the islands with my family, replacing a head with a system that I prefer because I had a major incident based on the PO lack of upkeep etc...is too much too soon?

I'm just trying to be thorough and self sufficient so I can get out and cruise my boat instead of spending years in a marina wasting $535 month. I live 6 hours from my boat, so I have a lot of time to think about things yet no one to run my thoughts by. When I go down to the boat I like to have some projects and plans lined up and to know which ones to shelf for later. I live in the boonies. Hence this forum and post with the idea of learning some stuff from people who may be willing to impart some knowledge my way.

EDIT: Like that?

Any positivity is appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
on the right upper corner there are 3 points
one is for edit
I use that option quite often, when I let my emotional response take over and avoid regrets.

·
bell ringer
5,650 Posts
Never mind. What would I know anyway since i left to cruise a little over 5 years ago without most of the “stuff” on this thread, just go full speed ahead. I would write some specifics, but not now.

·
Banned
169 Posts
The proper amount of cash applied ahead of time in a cost effective manner will avoid most of the many pitfalls encountered along the way by others who didn’t have the foresight to do the same. Preventative maintenance and self-reliance will ultimately result in a more enjoyable experience in my opinion.

A good example of this mindset would be purchasing high quality off-the-shelf products that will last and be easily maintained over buying cheap and having to replace systems multiple times whilst enduring down time and frustration in the future.

Do it once and be done.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Using the old head through hulls for a water maker won't be an issue. Simply clean them up a bit if the yuck factor bothers you, but the water maker membrane filters out molecules any larger than sodium ions. Poop molecules can't get through the membrane.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thats good. Also was thinking that if I mount the water intake where the water intake for the electric flush was it's a non issue for me, the outflow/brine could be one of the other thru hulls/ macerator exit.

Any suggestions on watermaker. I've changed course upon info gleaned here from helpful folks. I'm tossing the idea of that portable one I mentioned and instead looking at the Spectra Ventura 200T. I'm not rushing out to buy anything right now, just studying and shopping, and certainly am open to suggestions and such.

Thanks

·
Banned
169 Posts
As mentioned in one of my prior posts, look around for a used water maker unit on eBay. The outflow line should be on an above the waterline outlet in order to avoid possible siphoning back. Maybe tie into the bilge pump outflow.

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
581 Posts
always the proverbial "it depends"
In my current install, the water maker is bolted inside the stern locker,I run the intake from a dedicated thru hull, added this not for any reason except will be closer than any other available.
The only non-thru hull is the brine,I just leave the lid of the locker open and let the hose drain on the scoopers. Not ideal but works for me.
On another boat I ran the brine hose through an older diesel heather exhaust hose no longer used available on the transom, again,the hole was there well above the water line.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts