SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nissan 8HP outboard on Wind Angel that I am jsut getting ready to fire up. It is manual/pull start, but has a connection and cables in place for battery hook-up. I confess that I don't know a lot about motors, but can someone please enlighten me as to whay I have a battery connection on a motor with no electric start. Ignition? Charging? IDK :confused:

·
19,485 Posts
Yes, it's likely a low output charging circuit- often an option on motors of this size. It means you can more or less 'trickle charge' your batteries while running - at least, for example, you might keep up with nav light draws when motoring at night. Not sure of the typical output, but it wouldn't be designed to keep up with fridge-type loads.

Better than nothing, though, if it's functional.

Here's a thread from earlier here in SN that might help you out.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...charging-systems-tohatsu-nissan-specific.html

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
When I do a browser search for 8HP Nissan the results show both electric start and an alternator as options. Don't know what year yours is but you can do a search and find the features that were available. If it's new - did you read the tech material that came with it? If it's not new you can likely find and download the tech material for free on line.

·
Singlehander by Default
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's new - did you read the tech material that came with it?
What???? You trying to get me kicked out of the Man Club or what? I was able to download a manual for mine, but it says nothing about a charging circuit. Wil have to fire it up and see what it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.