SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of the best way to rig a sail boom correctly? I was reading Gui's book and realize that like many other boats, mine is totally...:confused: messed up. I'm hoping there is a local rigger or real person who really 'knows' how the pulleys. outhaul, etc. should be set up. My hardware seems too small and incomplete. So where do I go?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Hello,

It would help if you posted your boat type, or mast / boom type, or posted a picture or two.

If it's a common boat, I bet someone here has one and could help you out.

Barry

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Yeah, there are a few of us out here who would be happy to help, but we need to see "The Mess" first!!

Stuart

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No Pictures Today

Even if I posted pictures [its 3F today] I doubt it would help. Its a 77 Morgan OI, 30'. I can't imagine showing pulleys and guys, both sides of the boom, then the out haul a/w adding all the existing measurements and believe anyones 'written explanation' will make sense. re:laugher "Its not you its me?"

Actually, I am hoping to connect with a live human being [unlike when dealing w Verizon or Garmin, Magellen etc., and hitting 9 different numbers and technical experts who answer phones after my 90 minutes of being on hold and then working to understand some very nice people from India or Pakistan??? :hothead ] who really knows.

I have looked at a lot of others and will likely find a similar one that really looks functional and go that way.

So my question should simply have been- does anyone know of someone in the area of Massachusetts preferably the South Shore area who knows how to correctly rig a boom on a 1977 30' Morgan OI? And Yes, if it does not approach bailout proportions, I would gladly pay.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Joe—

Where about on the south shore are you?? I might be able to help out. While I'm not familiar with the boom on a Morgan OI specifically, there generally isn't much difference between rigging the boom on any number of boats, given that they're all fairly similar in function.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Harken Catalog

If you have access to a Harken catalog they have some pretty good diagrams. My copy is 2007 and they're on p31.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Joe—

Where about on the south shore are you?? I might be able to help out. While I'm not familiar with the boom on a Morgan OI specifically, there generally isn't much difference between rigging the boom on any number of boats, given that they're all fairly similar in function.
Your a good man dog with your offer to help! I am familiar with the Morgan 30 and the outhaul is not a critical adjustment. In fact you want more belly in the sail than flat and once most owners get it adjusted they don't touch it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts