SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sailing south approximately 20 miles off the coast of Portugal (near Porto) we encountered a pod of orcas... No damage done this time, but very scary all the same:

Pete

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Poke em with the spinnaker pole, start the engine but don't put it in gear? IMHO I think they see a boat as an invader in their territory and are trying to chase it away. Maybe an underwater speaker playing Lady GaGa music would chase them away.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I saw one interview where the sailor hove-to, and they left.
Maybe the orcas thought they killed the intruder so they left.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Not a fun experience. How would you discourage them? We had pilot whales follow us one night going transatlantic, but nothing aggressive.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hasn't been a problem long enough or widespread enough for solutiins to be productised.

But I bet there's hard data out there as to the frequencies of noise pollution considered harmful to that species, at low enough volume likely just annoys them

hopefully causing them to go away rather than increasing their aggressiveness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those look like smaller younger females. The females have the small curved dorsal finds the males those magnificent tall straight ones. You may have invaded a nursery or birthing area. Be happy you weren't swimming😜 It is their home and not ours after all. I'm glad everyone is safe😁

1 - 12 of 12 Posts