SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to supplement the shaft mounted zincs on my sailboat with a hanging overboard zinc. Could someone explain in simple terms how to wire it. Do I need copper wire. Do I crimp the wire and attach with a bolt to the flat zinc. Does it need to hang below the boat. Where do I attach it down below.
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,710 Posts
Normally, you should not need to supplement the prop shaft zincs on a direct drive installation. The same cannot be said for a sail drive where there are a lot of vulnerable dissimilar metals on very expensive pieces and the zincs tend to be tiny. When I owned a boat with a sail drive I used one of these:
Audio equipment Handle Serveware Circle Wicker

These are a very large 6 lb zinc on a roughly 10 foot long cable with an alligator clip on one end and a hanging loop on the cable.

In my case, I ran a copper wire from the housing where the outdrive case joined the engine, to a location near the cockpit. The zinc hung from a loop of line that I hung on a winch so that the zinc was maybe 2 feet below the surface and roughly in line with the outdrive. The alligator clip attached to the copper wire. If you boat is bonded, the alligator clip could attach anywhere in the bonding system. Otherwise, if the boat is not bonded, I would get a really large alligator clip and attached it to the propshaft.

In my case the zinc fish greatly extended the life of the zinc on the outdrive (2 years and plenty left vs 6 months and almost 100% gone) The cable that the zinc hung from appeared to be stainless steel.

Jeff

Reactions: SanderO
1 - 3 of 3 Posts