SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
This is a great boon to the area. These spots are needed and I expect they will sell out quickly.

The marine industry in south Florida is a real industry unlike most parts of the country. Miami has a new mega yacht marina going in also.

These yachts bring a lot of commerce to the area.

In 2010 FL capped the sales tax on boats/yachts at $18,000 to encourage the big boats to base here.

This is more of the same.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't know much about the issues of Florida other than most of my older relations fly down and roost while the snow flies here. That, and most of the interior is owned by an anthropomorphised rodent. But, I have a friend with a Freedom 35 at a dockominium in CT. He's owned it for over 20 years and it works out well for him. Big money now but short money 20 years hence. I don't know what the offering would do to FL but I can only imagine it would explode beyond the 30 slots he's tied with and probably be a nuisance.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just read the article. They can pound sand! Taking her out of harbor cost more than my boat in fuel alone. More of the big guy crushing the little guy. Like we don't have enough of that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just read the article. They can pound sand! Taking her out of harbor cost more than my boat in fuel alone. More of the big guy crushing the little guy. Like we don't have enough of that.
Come on. This has nothing to do with you or the kind of boat you have.

These yachts exist and provide jobs and economic benefits wherever they are.

This isn't about class warfare.

Enjoy what you have and others will do the same.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
Who is being hurt by these projects?
Oh, nobody at all - gigantic private yachts that burn fuel by the hundreds of tons are a very healthy social development.

·
2,437 Posts
Oh, nobody at all - gigantic private yachts that burn fuel by the hundreds of tons are a very healthy social development.
I could say the same thing about cruise ships. I never did get the attraction.

Honestly I don't get why you're even upset. I could give a rats hairy arse.

As long as they're not bothering me, live and let live.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
...gigantic private yachts that burn fuel by the hundreds of tons are a very healthy social development.
There are billions of people in this world who are so poor that they would have exactly the same attitude about YOUR boat--about ANY of our boats! When it comes to deciding how big is "too big," what makes you a better judge than any of them?

I'll save you some time. The very simple and obvious answer is, "NOTHING!"

Live and let live. Spending your life envying those with more than you is hardly the road to personal happiness.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
It's interesting the number of people who are incapable of grasping any motivation other than envy.

Pink Floyd figured it out 40 years ago;

"Money"

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and your O.K.
Money it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team
Money get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off my stack.
Money it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good ********
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet
Money it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Sad...this is whats going to become of Summerfields? I was hoping for more of a normal marina for normal boats.

Its a decent location up-river reasonably far from hurricane impact, but by no means safe. Also, you're a good 40 minutes from the ocean and they're about to cut off access 30 minutes out of every hour w/the ALl Aboard Florida project running through downtown.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
No one is saying you have to buy one. Just let those who wish to alone.

It's interesting the number of people who are incapable of grasping any motivation other than envy.

Pink Floyd figured it out 40 years ago;

"Money"

Money, get away
Get a good job with more pay and your O.K.
Money it's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team
Money get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off my stack.
Money it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good ********
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a Lear jet
Money it's a crime
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
Money so they say
Is the root of all evil today
But if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're
giving none away

1 - 17 of 17 Posts