SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Perhaps the reason the paint was so cheap is because because Washington prohibits the in-water cleaning of boats with ablative anti fouling paint.

Just sayin'.
So, $6 for paint, $150,000 for environmental fines = jeez, boats are expensive!

Seriously Tag - how did you contain and dispose of the scrapings and goo? I've always wondered about that when cleaning in "the wild".

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I went to West Marine in Seattle, and happened upon their moving sale, I scored a gallon of NOS Pettit ablative antifouling for $6! Continuing in the spirit of saving money, I careened my boat, put down a tarp, and started scrubbing the old barnacles, mussels, goo, and ablative off. Once I had it down to a relatively goo-free surface, I rolled the starboard side. I made one mistake and cut into the bootstripe, but it is an otherwise solid paint job that is keeping growth at bay...

Just reminding you.

OWNING A BOAT IS NOT EXPENSIVE!
Which west marine is having the sale? The mercer store?

MedSailor

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
your right it does not need to be pricey, my boat has not had the bottom touched sense sept or so last year. so today i anchored in 5 feet of water and spent 1.5 hours scrubbing and scraping. total cost was a 12 pack of soda and a pack of hot dogs and buns

it really needed it, i picked up a knot, but the chessy just hit the magic temp for stuff to explode on the bottom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.