SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a '75 P26 and would like to replace the wire/rope halyards with all rope ones. Is there a way to verify the sheaves are OK for rope without going up the mast or dropping it?

Does anyone know if Pearson used the same sheaves (or same size) for the whole P26 production run? If so, what size line can they accommodate?

Thanks,
Clay

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Clay,
I don't know about the sheaves, but on my P28 I converted to all rope halyards and have had no problems. With the new line like dyneema you can get sufficient strength in a line about the same diameter as your old steel line. There are several threads here that address this issue and the newer ones talk about using high tech low stretch synthetics.
Good luck
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Clay,

I replaced the wire/rope halyards with Sta-Set X using an intermediate length of clothes line to install from the deck -- and had an experience that you might not want to duplicate.

Unfortunately, there was an interference up top with a masthead bracket that was not visible from on deck, resulting in a frayed foresail halyard. I wasn't made for a bosun's chair, but thankfully the rigger who made up the new halyards was willing to install the replacement-replacement halyard and adjust the bracket for an extra $50.

Have been very happy with both the parallel core rope ever since.

Joel
Pokelogan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts