SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have just moved to Halifax and are contemplating buying our first boat. We are not extremely experienced sailors but have skippered a variety of boats over last six years - mostly a Ruster 36 off Devon and Cornwall and a C&C 27 and a Pearson 33 out of Victoria. We have also done the BVI bareboat charter thing as well (seemed weird to sail without foulies).

I am looking for a boat I can afford (not quantified yet !) for two main roles:

1. Cruising with the family for up to a week at a time: 2 adults plus children aged 3 and 5 plus perhaps an additional adult to assist with the sailing and/or children; and,

2. Daysailing singlehanded.

Is the PY29 suitable or am is my sanity suspect ? Is it suitable for the rougher seas one can expect out here ?

We would of course love a slightly larger boat (~ 33') but the cost curves steeply around 30' it seems.

I have seen a few on the market locally. Are there specific things to look for in these old boats ? I have never sailed a centerboard boat - is it reliable or a maintenance hog ? The ability to reduce the draft is obvious helpful but how much sailing performance do you lose ?

To complicate things, we are likely only here for two to three years so ... are they hard to resell ?

Another option I have is a reasonable charter rate on a CS36 so lots of apples and oranges to compare.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Max

·
Registered
687 Posts
Max

There are two paceship built 29 that I am aware of. P29 and Northwind 29. The P29 is a bit newer and slightly more modern interior.

The PY26 is a different boat and is a pretty sturdy boat with decent sailing characteristics. About the same interior size as C&C27. There is no PY29.

If I were to attempt to read minds I would guess the appeal of the Paceship P29 and Nortwind 29 is lower price over C&C27, etc... If not go for a C&C27. There are a lot available in Halifax area..

I owned a Paceship P23 for a couple years. They seem well built and sturdy. My brother had a PY26 - that was a good boat.

Not sure what else to say

Mike

Nut Case
J27 #150

·
19,489 Posts
IIRC the Paceship 29 is a C&C design, similar to the C&C 27/30 of the same era. I can't speak to build quality vs C&C, but design wise I'd expect the boats to be quite similar.

In the current economic climate it's difficult to count on and easy resale of anything, but perhaps in a few years time that will improve. If not, shipping the boat (back west, I presume?) might be a viable option if you find the boat suitable to your needs, it would certainly be fine in BC waters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - my mistake on calling it a PY29 - what I should have said was Paceship 29.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts