SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Pardon if this is duplicated. Sent earlier but it never appeared)

Hello,

I am a new owner of a 1997 PSC 31.

My rudder stuffing box is leaking underway and I am working on changing the flax packing. My questions are that I have removed the old packing and there was only one strip. Is that correct for these types of stuffing boxes. Please see the photo of what it originally looks like (I have already replaced the rusty clamps).

Also, I can not get the new packing back into the the grove around the rudder post. The size is 3/8" which was recommended by Edson. I have tightened the stuffing box with the new flaxing in it to see if I could push it down that way. But about 1/4" of the packing is still visible between both layers of the stuffing box. Is this acceptable.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anybody runs into the problem in the future, maybe this will be helpful.

After about five tries and one time getting really stuck in the rear lazarette.., this is what I learned

These above the water line Edson rudder stuffing boxes only use one strip of 3/8" Flax packing. I made the mistake of using PFTE Flax packing. This is the solid white type. It is too stiff to get into the stuffing box slot around the rudder shaft. It never fit properly and the leak got a lot worse.

You should use just normal FLAX packing. It is softer and slides into the slot with not much effort. Cut the ends at a 45 degree angle. So, one end covers the other in the stuffing box. I also found that it was easier to start towards rear of the shaft and then work around it. The FLAX packing moved into the slot a lot easier that way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fune, I can't help with the problem, but if you're not aware, Pacific Seacraft is still operating, in North Carolina. You can Google 'em and call them on the phone for advice if you need it moving forward. Congrats on the new boat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts