SailNet Community banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Jim:
Don't think I would know where to start explaining all the details. I put them in my drawings. That's the way I "talk". The main challenge on the deck was how to split sail handling functions between the two cockpits. I think we have conquered that now. The other big challenge was laying out all the deck structures so that the deck and both cockpits were ergonomically functional. I'm pretty good at that. I've had practice in that area. The challenge with the rig was getting sufficient sail area to drive the boat well while dealing with a bridge clearance issue. Did that with the sprit and the big mizzen. Aesthetically everything was a challenge but I just drew on my many years of admiring handsome boats and I used the tricks the great designers used to come up with what today looks like a unique yet "classically" style boat.

Kind of hard to take such a complex process and distill it down to a few words. I'll try harder when I do my blog entry on the boat. I'll use your question to organize my thoughts and work out the text while I walk my dogs. I think three or four dog walks will suffice.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Bob:
Thanks for the kind words.

Initially we experimented with over a dozen end/overhang treatments. But the owner's wife wanted something "graceful" so we ended up adding some overhang to give the boat a more classic look. In doing this the LOA went from 49' to 63'. There was a lot of preliminary design work involved to evolve the boat to what you see now.

Thanks Ross.

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Reaction score
Nothing really thoughtful to say, Bob, except that she looks great, and that I am looking forward to seeing/reading more about her.

· Registered
1,850 Posts
Reaction score
Oh.. maybe I have something...

I like both tillers and wheels..

I am particularly happy with the rack-and-pinion Whitlock wheel on my present boat.. It is a nice match with my counterbalanced rudder, and I still get decent rudder feedback..

I need to get rid of the wheel pilot, though, because it messes up how it feels somewhat.

· Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Reaction score
Would love to see a video walk-through some time, if the owners wouldn't mind. She's really sharp, and it's always neat/interesting to see the little things that set boats like this apart.

To be clear, calling them "little things" doesn't mean they aren't important/valuable - quite the contrary. It's usually the little things that increase the cost, but also increase the value, like a 5-burner stove and a vent hood.

· Registered
213 Posts
Reaction score
Looking at the interior layout, it would appear that there is no companion way from the aft cockit... Is that so? Does this require moving aft on deck to the cockpit from the centre one, in all weather, or am I misreading the plan?

Just enjoying it all and the way you have fun sharing with us!

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Jimgo:
I think that video should wait until the boat is finished.

flandria.
I am pretty sure I posted the deck plan somewhere on this thread. Flying sails will be handled from the center cockpit. Working sails will be handled from the aft cockpit. So basic sailing is all aft cockpit oriented. When you have a full crew or some extra energy you can give the helm to the auto pilot and go forward and hoist chute and mizz staysail. Winches are electric.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
flandria:
No, that is not correct. There is a door out of the owner;'s cabin opening to the aft cockpit.
I can't see doing the layout without two companionways. Maybe this rendering will show it more clearly. It really does not show well on the plan view drawing.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
flandria:
This is not a Catalina 27. This is a big boat with all the gadgets including an auto pilot. By virtue of its size things will not happen quickly and with proper seamanship and sequencing sailing handling chores can be accomplished by a skilled crew of two. This is not a boat for beginners. As I have said, if it's mom and pop out for an afternoon all the sheets can be handled from the aft cockpit. If you are out with the boys and you want some fun you can raise the flying sails from the cc. If it's breezy and you want to lope along would can sail with Jib and mizzzen. Leading all lines to the aft cockpit is physically impossible on a boat like this and a very bad idea. Like any big, complex boat this boat will require well honed sailing skills to be operated safely. Main and mizzen are on in boom, electric furlers.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'll tell you what I will do. As soon as I can access my photobucket (it's down now) I will post the deck plan again and walk you through the deck layout line by line.

Why? Because I am such a damn nice guy.

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
OK mates, here we go. Sit up straight. Spit your gum out and pay attention:

Mainsheet is a standard German system (Google it). In short it is a double ended system leading aft p&s from the gooseneck to the two powered winches forward in the aft cockpit. You can adjust the mainsheet from either side.

Jib sheets are normal and lead to the middle powered winch in the aft cockpit.

Main halyard is lead to cc port powered winch.

Mizzen hal is on the mast or can be lead through a stand up block up to the starboard powered winch in the cc.

Staysail hal is lead to starboard winch in CC Keep in mind that line clutches are used throughout the layout for maximum versatility of optional line runs. In short winches may do more than one function through the use of a clutch or clutches.

Main trav controls are 4: 1 and cane be lead through re-direct sheaves to winches on both sides of the cc or operated manually.

Spin hals are on the mast.

Spin sheets are lead forward to cc winches.

Miz staysail sheet lead forward to cc winches. Keep in mind that of course not all lines will be needed at the same time.

Mizzen sheet is lead to aft most aft cockpit winch.

Asym chute tack line is lead to port cc winch.

Sym chute foreguy is lead to starboard cc winch.

Storm trisail hal is lead to stbd cc winch.

I have probably missed something but that's as good as you are going to get. Wee have worked very hard to prioritize and sequence the sail handling functions so that every eventuality has been covered. You can make out some of the line runs on this drawing but we did a special drawing just to identify all the line runs. This drawing is more for calling out all the different pieces of hardware and locating them.

· Registered
213 Posts
Reaction score
Whoa... thanks for the info, Bob...

Just in case it goes unmentioned, I think all of us very much appreciate not just your enthusiasm but your sharing.

I did look at the deck plan you posted, and now understand that there is no specific need for an aft companionway. But, if the sailing does get rough, better have your jack lines in place and in use to go below!

Thanks

61 - 80 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.