SailNet Community banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
flandria:
No, no, no!
You sound like a very nice gentleman but you are mis-reading this. And many thanks for the kind words.

There IS and companionway forward from the aft cockpit.

Look at this photo of the guys gathered in the aft cockpit. See that door into the aft cabin? Look again, it's very easy to spot. I would not dream of not having a companionway into the aft cabin from the aft cockpit. It makes the boat "work". We don't need no stinkin' jacklines. We justy waljk through the boat like civilized guys.

· Registered
724 Posts
Reaction score
OK mates, here we go. Sit up straight. Spit your gum out and pay attention:

Mainsheet is a standard German system (Google it). In short it is a double ended system leading aft p&s from the gooseneck to the two powered winches forward in the aft cockpit. You can adjust the mainsheet from either side.

Jib sheets are normal and lead to the middle powered winch in the aft cockpit.

Main halyard is lead to cc port powered winch.

Mizzen hal is on the mast or can be lead through a stand up block up to the starboard powered winch in the cc.

Staysail hal is lead to starboard winch in CC Keep in mind that line clutches are used throughout the layout for maximum versatility of optional line runs. In short winches may do more than one function through the use of a clutch or clutches.

Main trav controls are 4: 1 and cane be lead through re-direct sheaves to winches on both sides of the cc or operated manually.

Spin hals are on the mast.

Spin sheets are lead forward to cc winches.

Miz staysail sheet lead forward to cc winches. Keep in mind that of course not all lines will be needed at the same time.

Mizzen sheet is lead to aft most aft cockpit winch.

Asym chute tack line is lead to port cc winch.

Sym chute foreguy is lead to starboard cc winch.

Storm trisail hal is lead to stbd cc winch.

I have probably missed something but that's as good as you are going to get. Wee have worked very hard to prioritize and sequence the sail handling functions so that every eventuality has been covered. You can make out some of the line runs on this drawing but we did a special drawing just to identify all the line runs. This drawing is more for calling out all the different pieces of hardware and locating them.

Thanks for this Bob. I was very curious how all of this works.

· Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
Reaction score
Bob, a walk-through once she's finished is fine; I wasn't in a hurry! And I also understand COMPLETELY if the owners don't want that. Just thought I'd put in the request (since you're in such a generous mood today). Thanks for all the pics and details, too!

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Reaction score
That's a beautiful boat. I wish I could write the check for one. :D

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
flandria:
Not so fast there.
The famous Rhodes design THUNDERHEAD had an aft ph very much like CATARI's. In fact that's where the inspiration for the ph shape came from. THUNDERHEAD did not have an aft companionway.

· Registered
207 Posts
Reaction score
I was going to mention that Rhodes design but you beat me to it ! If I'm not mistaken , wasn't there another Rhodes boat that also didn't have a aft companionway but a lovely doghouse over the rear cockpit....Hother seems to ring a bell ,but this old brain has got so much useless knowledge tumbling around inside I often mix it it all up, or perhaps its the same boat with different names? Now to your lovely vessel.
Fabulous! Being a boatbulider I can appreciate what has gone into turning out this wonderful yacht. Now I do really like the vent treatment under the locker doors in the galley.... and one question if you can divulge, what was used for the beadboard ovehead? I'm guessing a fiberglass panel copy of beadboard, if so was it made by PSC or is it available premade?, Rick

· Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
828 Posts
Reaction score
Hey, Bob- I notice in the rendering that the lifeline stanchions are mounted, at an angle, to the bulwarks. Is this to create deck space, or aesthetics? Is there a strength compromise by mounting them that way?
Wait- upon closer inspection it appears that the bulwarks have outcroppings molded so that the stanchions are stepped level. Am I seeing that right? How easy is that to bed?

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Rasi:
Stanchion bases are all custom fabrications with a solid s.s. bar bail in each base. They are works of art. Stanchions are vertical. In that each base is designed for the bulwark angle at that point no extra shimming is required. Steve, the metal guy at PSC is as good as you will ever find. His work is amazing. If we can think of it he can build it. If we can't think of it then Steve can.

How hard are they to bed? I don't know. I draw. I don't bed.

· Registered
207 Posts
Reaction score
Hey, Bob- I notice in the rendering that the lifeline stanchions are mounted, at an angle, to the bulwarks. Is this to create deck space, or aesthetics? Is there a strength compromise by mounting them that way?
Wait- upon closer inspection it appears that the bulwarks have outcroppings molded so that the stanchions are stepped level. Am I seeing that right? How easy is that to bed?
Oh, probably no harder than your wife was:D;)
Couldnt resist,
actually checked your profile, if thats a picture of you and your wife and girl, you are a lucky guy !

· Registered
5,894 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Midnight:
Let me help you here .
Core 'Ngrata is most commonly known as CATARI or CATARI,CATARI in the tradition of opera arias being named after their first line. CATARI is the name of the PSC ketch. It has zero to do with HOTHER. Core 'Ngrata is not an operatic aria. It's just a song. But I think the naming tradition just carries over. I'll have to call my Grandpa, Angelo Dante Giuseppe Nanelli. It will be long distance.

Me? Lucky? I suppose I am. Maybe you should read the Spike section. But today I look at my wonderful grandchildren and I think, to myself, "you are lucky Bob".
My wife, Jill, is a peach and one of the toughest sailors I have ever sailed with.

· Registered
207 Posts
Reaction score
Midnight:
Let me help you here .
Core 'Ngrata is most commonly known as CATARI or CATARI,CATARI in the tradition of opera arias being named after their first line. CATARI is the name of the PSC ketch. It has zero to do with HOTHER. Core 'Ngrata is not an operatic aria. It's just a song. But I think the naming tradition just carries over. I'll have to call my Grandpa, Angelo Dante Giuseppe Nanelli. It will be long distance.

Me? Lucky? I suppose I am. Maybe you should read the Spike section. But today I look at my wonderful grandchildren and I think, to myself, "you are lucky Bob".
My wife, Jill, is a peach and one of the toughest sailors I have ever sailed with.
Thanks Bob for clarifying that for me . I didn't know the PSC ketch was named CATARI, I thought you were referring to my bringing up HOTHER.
Sounds like what you have is luck brought on by good old hard work, talent and decency. Thanks for sharing and bring us such wonderous sea craft.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.