SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Reaction score
Hello to all. I am a recent new owner of a 1987 psc 34 (hull 89 Athenry) and am in the process of replacing the packing material. I went with the Teflon ptfe packing. Today I removed 2 rings of 1/4 inch goretex packing. Raindog and others use 3/16 inch. It's a 1 inch shaft. Should I try for three rings of 3/16 inch or stay with two rings of 1/4? I have both available but am unclear as to what is optimal. Many thanks, Nate

· Registered
35 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks to both of your replies. Mainesail, It is your very helpful article that I have been following on pbase to accomplish this task. Your articles are spot on and much appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
35 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
I hadn't been able to find that info in the manual. I have both sizes, and have been waiting to get some of the Sytef lubricant to complete this task. My next step will be to double check the size by measuring the inside diameter of the packing nut and subtract the diameter of the shaft... I can just barely get one ring of the ptfe flax packing to fit with the 1/4". I wonder if the po may have put in the wrong size packing and that's why it dripped excessively? At any rate, at least these winter projects keep me thinking of the upcoming spring..

· Registered
35 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks wsmurdoch,
I'm guessing the manual changed somewhere from 1987 to 1988. I don't have that note in my manual, but I have a copy of a 1989 model manual and I see what you're referring to on page 46. It seems to follow that I likely should use the 3/16".
Nate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.