SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tally Ho Major design made from ferro cement that I am trying to restore.Can anyone help me with selection of a product that will prime/seal the exterior so that I can paint the vessel with some sort of epoxy paint? I am ready to strip but figured I better be prepared to cover once stripped.The boat has house paint on the hull right now.I called pettit paint and the "tech" there said they made no paint for ferro cement.:confused:Gotta be something out there! please help

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
There are not many (if any) ferro Cement guys here, so I don't know if you will get much of an answer. I am surprised Pettit could not help you out. You might want to check out The World of Ferroboats they seem to be one of the few sources of info on floating swimming pools.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Back in the day, the best practice was to acid wash the hull to get the lime leachate out, pressure wash it to get rid of the acid, let it dry thoroughly and then coat it with 2 or 3 coats of epoxy resin - not much different than doing an exposed aggregate driveway. ;)

After that, you can paint it with whatever. It's a good idea to use low or semi-gloss paint because ferro hulls are rarely fair enough for a high gloss to look good.

If you want to fill and fair it so it WILL support a high gloss finish, put the filler on after the epoxy sealer coats. Use talc thickened epoxy for filler

Reactions: lynxcat319
1 - 3 of 3 Posts