SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading with interest the recent (and past) posts regarding hull maintenance specifically for getting the finish to look new again. I have a 1985 26' Seafarer with a Forest Green hull. there are numerous scratches in the hull where you can see white beneath the green finish. These scratches are not particularly deep - for the most part they are merely surface scratches not into the gelcoat.

I had planned on buying a buffer and compounding then finishing/waxing the green hull to bring back the glossy finish it must have once had. I've tried using a commercial product (sorry don't recall the name of it, something from Autozone) that rubs on as a liquid and leaves a small amount of green color on the pad. Once it dries I've hand buffed it off but the finish still looks mottled though shiny.

In order to do this the right way, I think I need to know if I'm working with Awlgrip or a paint (single or 2 part). Is there anyway that the layman can tell which it is?

Appreciate any comments or thoughts on this.

Thanks!

john

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply Sailing Dog, I was still going through some of the recent Gear posts :D

Anyway, I've had the boat for one year this month and am getting it ready to splash. The PO had it for at least 5 years and bought it from the original owner. I haven't had the opportunity to take pics yet as it's still winter covered but that should change this weekend! ;) I'll try to get some and post 'em.

After reading all sorts of posts regarding buffing Awlgrip (bad) I figured I'd post the question. It doesn't look like Awlgrip as you describe it but really more like paint. Currently it is fairly faded and mottled in appearance. I'm going with it being paint and will take that route.

Thanks!

jk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.