SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the middle of a pretty large restoration/resurrection project on a 38' fiberglass sloop. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on paints/finishes to use for the interior of lockers.

Additionally I am planning on painting my teak toe rail and rub rail with an enamel paint. (I want to reduce the varnish upkeep for cruising) Does anyone have any recommendations on a finish for this? Seal with epoxy then Awl-Grip when I repaint the hull?

There are a ton of products out there and any reviews/recommendations would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
There was a recent thread about interior paint choices here:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47843-prepping-cabin-my-sc22-painting-paint-q.html

You are right, there are a lot of choices. There was a recent thread about this, see my posts and others in above link but in a nutshell, I personally like 100% acrylic latex paints for interior work. Some will say latex isn't as durable or tough as oil-based paints, I haven't done side-by-side testing in a boat environment so I can't say if this is true. But I do know latex is much better than it used to be. For me latex has been tough enough, and I like the low fumes/easy cleanup of water-based finishes (latex is water based, traditional finishes are oil-based). Some people apparently use latex for painting the exterior or their boat even below the waterline ... dunno if I would do that but the fact that people do this might say something about it's toughness. Here's the link to the guy who paints his boat's bottom with latex: Latex Paint for Boats

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Interlux - Bilgekote

Bilgekote is a fast drying, durable coating formulated for application to bilge areas. Helps prevent absorption of oil, gasoline or sludge into wood and fiberglass.

Bilgekote protects bilges, lockers and bulkheads against moisture penetration and wear and tear. Bilgekote will resist oil and fuel spillage and cleans easily.

Main features are:
# High opacity for excellent covering power
# Hard wearing
# Available in gray and white, in quarts and gallons

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd third the BilgeKote recommendation. :) Good stuff for boat interiors that don't have to be really pretty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts