SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
West Marine recommends using Pettit "Old Salem" general purpose brushing thinner at $32/quart :eek: for use with it's CPP soft ablative bottom paint.

I just barely stretched a gallon last year to cover the bottom of my P28 and I would like to use just a little bit of thinner to ensure full coverage this upcoming season.

Is ordinary hardware store paint thinner o.k. for use with soft ablative bottom paint?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I wouldn't try to stretch bottom paint by thinning. Unlike other paints who's purpose is to provide a protective coating, CPP bottom paint contains copper which prevents marine growth. Thinning will thus reduce the effectiveness of the bottom paint, possibly resulting in more growth.

Better to buy an extra quart or gallon and save the extra for the next season. It doesn't go bad.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Acetone or toluene has worked for me with Seahawk ablative paint.

Try a small test patch first.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,622 Posts
+1 to what Sabreman said.

Cheaping out is usually a sure recipe for regret. Nobody ever said they put too much anti fouling paint on the boat.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
West Marine recommends using Pettit "Old Salem" general purpose brushing thinner at $32/quart :eek: for use with it's CPP soft ablative bottom paint.

I just barely stretched a gallon last year to cover the bottom of my P28 and I would like to use just a little bit of thinner to ensure full coverage this upcoming season.

Is ordinary hardware store paint thinner o.k. for use with soft ablative bottom paint?
= white kerosene

Down

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'll provide a caution against using common "thinners". Many/most of them are petroleum distillates and will evaporate, sometimes rapidly depending on what is used and the temperature. IMO, they shouldn't be called "thinners"; "solvent" is a better choice of words. Effective thinners or brushing agents, are purpose-made. Penetrol comes to mind, which I used from time to time. With that said, virtually all finishes recommend against any thinning except as a sealer coat. With bottom paint, thinning works against you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts