SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started painting the inside of the hull using a good quality semi-gloss white oil paint. I'm not talking about the bilge but the area under the berths on either side of the cabin. This area is below the exterior water line. I'm starting to second guess myself and I'm wondering if this kind of paint is OK for the job I'm doing. Any comments appreciated.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Since you state that the area is below the water line have you considered using a product like this: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|296162|10919|311501|613744&id=1066839
White or gray only.
I don't work for Interlux.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Below the waterline you have to worry about the hull sweating: like a soda can , the cooler hull will condense water on the inside of the hull below the waterline.

BilgeKote is a good product (as both CalebD and gtod25 suggest) but over the years I have seen a lot of funky stuff used in and out of boats that seemed to do better than the "maritime specific" products.

As long as you have done the proper surface preparation, you're probably be OK. Good luck, and please let us know how it weathers.

·
19,488 Posts
Yes, surface prep and cleaning is a huge part of this sort of thing.. in the past we've had good luck with the Home Hardware/Home Depot etc "liquid plastic enamel" paints - I think they are similar to single part poly paints- at a much better price and more colour availability that Bilgekote. Having said that I've had good luck with Bilgekote and Interdeck in recent years too.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
It is true that the 'marine' paints cost about 2x that for a land based equivalent. It is not a huge area that you want to paint is it?
Surface prep: a light sanding then wipe off with a strong thinner (alcohol, acetone, Interlux #216 etc).
Let us know how you make out whichever paint you choose.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finished the job with the oil paint. Looks a lot better. I'm won't get my boat launched now until next spring so I won't know how it's going to stand up until the end of the 2010 season. Thanks for all your advice. I bought this boat knowing absolutely nothing but by the time it's finished, I'll know just enough to be considerably dangerous. Thanks again

·
Dirt Free
2,895 Posts
I painted my engine room with white Tremclad rust paint and my trusty Perkins with blue Tremclad 13 years ago. It still looks like new.\

Attachments

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Boatpoker
That is a sweet looking Engine room. The Engine is looking good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts