SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm in the process of painting my Irwin 30 topsides. I've faired and sanded and am moving into the priming and painting phase. I'm using Alexseal finishing primer and Alexseal 501 paint. I'm going to be using a roller to apply all the coats. I will be painting outdoors at approx. 70 degrees. I've turned to multiple sources to try and find the answers to the following questions. Any insight is appreciated:
1. What do you think about sanding between coats of primer? I'm struggling a bit with understanding Alexseals primer instructions. I've heard that one can recoat with the Alexseal finishing primer without sanding between coats if you wait no longer then about 22hrs to recoat. Thoughts?
2. Taping. Do I need to apply fresh tape on each recoat? Or, do I keep the same tape on for each coat of primer I apply? Input on how long to wait before I remove the tape?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Follow manufactures instruction with regard to primer timing for sanding or not.
Work in the shade not direct sunlight.
Remove tape while the paint is still tacky, and don't apply tape to a tacky surface. I use Frogtape which limits paint bleed at the tape edge.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
This may be OT.... beautiful topsides are desired and admired.... and hard to achieve and maintain looking great.

I was thinking about a whole new approach. What about patterns...splatters... and similar... something random? This could be done with multiple colors, brush sizes and so forth painted in layers. You would have to "artistic" I suppose.. and bold. The pattern, colors and scale would be critical. What about a dark blue hull will tons of small stars of different painted in white? Or sky blue with clouds?

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I bought black spots for stickers and covered the scratches with them.
POOF Legend was born.
View attachment 138706
There are all sorts of attractive patterns that can be painted which cover defects... leopard spots, zebra stripes... stars... You can use stencils and spray on all sorts of things... No reason why this couldn't look cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts