SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you can get good results using a roller/brush but spraying always does a better job (assuming the prep work is good to begin with).

Has anyone painted their decks, etc. using 2 part paint (i.e. Awlgrip, etc.) with one of those airless electric paint sprayers?

If so, what was your experience?

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you aren''t experienced with linear polyurethanes, and you don''t have the proper respiration gear, do NOT spray awlgrip or imron. You WILL develop the IQ of a rutabaga IF you live through the paint job - and it CAN kill you. You can do a very good job rolling the stuff with those little 5 or 6" "dildo" foam rollers, and without tipping with a bristle brush. "Boat-length paint job." Looks perfect from one boat-length away. LP''s are bad, bad things to breath.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow.. that'' a pretty strong caution (and well taken)

Actually I do have experience with 2 part paints of the automotive variety, just not Awlgrip, etc. And I do have a good respirator but if I spray I will double check the filters to make sure they are of the proper type.

My question was about the electric airless paint sprayers though and if they would work with 2 part polyurethanes. Since I don''t have access to compressed air I thought maybe one of those would do the trick. Or not, if someone with experience with them notes otherwise.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You might get the answers you need from U.S. Paints (Awlgrip mfr.). That''s where I''d start. You can also rent a small electric compressor and buy a sprayer for considerably less than the paint, reducer, thinner, etc., etc. will ultimately cost you.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember, even with the "airless" there is overspray, and without an approved resparator, you won''t finish the paint job until they find you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If by airless sprayer you are referring to a Wagner Power painter, don't.... They waste half the paint in over spray. Roll and tip will give a much better result...

·
Registered
556 Posts
HVLP is the way to go with AwlGrip. If you can spray LP automotive paint effectively, Awlgrip won't be a problem.
Electric sprayer is akin to pissing in the wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts