SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I grew up sailing small craft, sunfish, day boats and enjoyed it immensly but I am new to swing keel sailing. Now after 30 + years of marriage, my wife has finally appreciated my lifelong dream and has purchased an older C22 for me. Needs considerable work but we are looking forward to the project. I've done a lot of research and the only info that seems to be minimal is the outboard motor info. I believe my boat has the original drop down motor mount so I was trying to figure out what is the maximun practical weight the mount can withstand. IE, 4 hp , 7 hp, or I've read some that have gone up to 9.9 hp. any ideas? My first plan is to put it in the water to look for leaks and etc.

thanks to all

PaPa B

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Hey b, welcome to SN dude!

I have a C27 and have a Suzuki 6HP OB on it. Though it's not especially powerful, it does the job. I think 6HP for a 22 would be plenty...and you might even get away with a 4. I don't know. There are probably more C22 sailors around here that will know more than I.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about the mount - if it's the "standard" drop down mount. Just make sure it's well attached and sturdy.

Have fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts