SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was so foolish to buy a used project boat for 500 to 1,000 what paperwork do I need to get from the seller so I can register the trailer and boat?
Would that paperwork change is the price was 1,000 to 6,000?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It depends my 1981 boat just has a registration my 1995 boat has a title

In Ny i needed a clean registration OR title on the boat and a registration for the trailer

The seller made a simple bill of sale with the HIN and trailer# and DMV had some simple transfer papers he had to sign

BUT ever state is different ,Texas Titles outboards :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree, definately have to check with the DMV in your state, nearly all are different.

General advice is to get a bill of sale that has the HIN, and trailer seriel number, the sellers information and the price you paid. If you found it online print a copy of the ad, if in the paper or some other publication, the actual ad. That way the important questions are documented. (What it is, where you got it, who and what you paid)

Here in michigan boats to a certain length don't have titles so there isn't a lot of paperwork that goes with them. All trailers require at least a registration, there is a size/capacity break, but there seem to be confusing regulations concerning them. Because I've never gotten the same answers even from the same office. Prior to michigan going to permanant trailer plates, It had gotten so bad that no matter who the trailer was manufactured by I registered it as an assembled boat trailer.

Ken.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts