SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a controversial thread (aren't they all?) about Mexican authorities confiscating boats for a lack of proper paperwork.
OK I'm not the brightest candle on the cake; more likely the dullest knife in the drawer.
So;
I have a passport, and the latest boat registration certificate and sticker.
I sail into Canada, or Mexico. Now what do I have to do to keep out of trouble?
(Please show how detail oriented you can be)
old geezer.

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Generally you need a clearance from your last port (not usually available if leaving the US), valid and up to date registration for the vessel, a travel document for yourself and anyone else aboard and probably some local currency.
You will be asked to fill out an entry form or several, usually in multiple copies, and visit both immigration and customs in the order that country requires. You will be granted entry and pay immigration fees, but rarely customs, UNLESS it is on their "overtime" hours (which can be quite expensive).
If you are registering a firearm, many countries will need it at that time, with more paper work.
The officials rarely examine the paper work intently; I once cleared out of SV&G and into St. Lucia without any problems, even though I'd put the wrong month on the forms. That's 4 officials; 2 customs and 2 immigration, who failed to notice my mistake! Always be cheerful and courteous and do consider your dress when dealing with officials in a foreign country.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
true.. unless you really did wash up on the beach, don't look like you just did. Not saying you should wear a suit, but something presentable couple with decent hygiene will go a long way towards being treated well

·
Registered
583 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts