SailNet Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
P In some restaurants the noise level is artificially loud. So loud where you are no longer talking but yelling at your companions.
And they manage to jamb so many tables in that the whole restaurant has to do a dance every time someone goes to the toilet.

I go out less but spend more to be in a better place.

But others like the yell and scream bistro.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I prefer the “ every bodies on their cell phone “ bistro🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐🤐

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
All Posts in this thread will take a few minutes to be reviewed before they are, *if acceptable*, posted.

Obviously politics may come into it...

However, all political divisiveness, electioneering, name calling of members or name calling of politicians, is being dispensed with your posts deleted, and you will be removed from seeing this sub-forum permanently.

No matter which country you are from people are to be respected no matter which party they vote for.
Similarly no personal disrespect to any politicians, nor their names be changed, altered or mis-spelled.

Finally, you will be removed from the Hot Topics forum altogether if you show a lack of respect that another members' core beliefs are different to your own.

Mark

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
And they manage to jamb so many tables in that the whole restaurant has to do a dance every time someone goes to the toilet.

I go out less but spend more to be in a better place.

But others like the yell and scream bistro.
Ambiance is a funny thing.

Sometimes people want a quiet romantic separated restaurant, and other times they want a crowded noisy reggae bar in a tourist trap restaurant on a Carribean Island. A quiet restaurant or crowded pub with a bunch of drunks watching a soccer match.

This can be the choices the same person goes for depending on their mood🤫

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Ambiance is a funny thing.

Sometimes people want a quiet romantic separated restaurant, and other times they want a crowded noisy reggae bar in a tourist trap restaurant on a Carribean Island. A quiet restaurant or crowded pub with a bunch of drunks watching a soccer match.

This can be the choices the same person goes for depending on their mood🤫
Not for me, Dave... My choice these days is almost always driven by quiet... romantic or not. If we are dining we like to converse and cannot with noise... and with lousy hearing these days almost all restaurants when serving are too noisy. Music likewise, especially rock, pop, reggae sounds like jarring noise and I would never listen to it for that reason. I can deal with a single musician or maybe two... and can do without amps. I attend classical music concerts, opera and ballet and there is no amplification and the music can fill a huge concert hall. BTW most "pop" / rock type musicians lose their hearing from the abuse they put their ears to.

We do listen to some "pop"/rock music at home but not at the high volumes most people seem to like. Unlike vision problems... hearing problems are something we do to ourselves and there seems to be little interest in changing this.

·
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ha....I like my music loud. A guess a residual effect of my Zepplin/ AC/DC DAYS.

My wife fortunately / unfortunately does get to go to restaurants much. There is very little I can’t make better, fresher than any restaurant do to my world class training for my previous profession. ( not being humble at all here) . It is hard for me to lay to have someone else’s cooking. However I do appreciate other chefs creativity.
Dining is also a social experience with others like our friends too.

When we invite others over for dinner very rarely do they say no. Even on the boat we treat it like home for meals. Fresh ingredients prepared correctly = good food. Now the boats anchored cockpit is better than any restaurant ambiance when can visit.

I do however like the buzz of some of the MD crab houses where people talk loud, there is music, as people practice the bloodsport of blue crab smashing😮

Millennials:

Restaurant selection according to dining , ambiance as a qualifier trends show decline as the millennials influence takes hold. As a group generally their choices are not made on that. Their preferences show fresh quick food drives their money. Food trucks a good example. Few choices in menu but excellent preparation and ingredients lending to quick production lead their choices. Take out vs china is their preference. They’d rather order out and sit on the couch in sweat pants than dress up casually for a 2 hour sit down. It’s far cheaper not to pay for service Personel . It’s a reflection of their different mind set. They’d rather go to a food truck and park bench for a food date.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Noisy restaurants completely befuddle me. Why would one go out with friends or family, spend the extra time, effort and money, and go to a place where it is hard to actually socialize? Makes no sense to me.

I have a direct example of this recently. There's a wonderful long-standing Italian restaurant that I've enjoyed going to for probably a decade now. The food is wonderful, and the ambiance was always inviting.

They've recently moved into a much larger space. Unfortunately this space is full of hard surfaces, with highly reflective acoustics. I've tried twice, and will now never go back. It is simply way to loud. The joy is gone.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts